This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Releasing two new albums in less than 6 months and rehearsing for her upcoming ‘Sweetener’ tour, Ariana Grande has been busy these days. But before becoming a huge R&B artist, going on world tours, performing in sold out arenas,she was performing to a live audience on a daily basis on Broadway. At the age of 15, she moved from Boca Raton,FL to NYC to perform in the musical “13”.

Shortly after her run on broadway she was casted to play the notorious, Cat Valentine on Victorious. Victorious was a show on Nickelodeon of the life of a high school student Tori Vega (played by Victoria Justice) attending a performing arts high school called Hollywood Arts. The show revolved around Tori’s life with her friends at school which included Ariana’s character Cat. After being casted to play sweet Cat Valentine, Grande’s career started to blossom both in the tv and the music industry. ‘Victorious’ opened the door for her to appear in Nickelodeon movies such as Swindle, and also led to her having a spin-off show ‘Sam and Cat’ with Jennette McCurdy who played, Sam in ‘iCarly.’

Even though, the show allowed her to work on different projects within the Nickelodeon network it also created a pathway for her music career. As a member of the ‘Victorious’ cast she was first featured in the show’s soundtrack. Shortly, after her first appearance on the show’s soundtrack she released her first single “Put Your Hearts Up,” in 2011. After the release of her single she took two years to work on her first album “Yours Truly,” while she continued to work on Victorious.

Grande’s second album “My Everything” was created while she worked on ‘Sam and Cat’, while her third album “Dangerous Woman” was completed while she ended her role on ‘Scream Queens.’ But, before completely focusing on her music career she went back to her musical theatre roots and worked on Hairspray Live!’ as Penny Pingleton. Where her acting career seems to have taken a halt and she began to focus solely on her music.

Just recently, she released  “Sweetener,” which took about two years to complete on August 2018. Grande then released her latest album “Thank You, Next”, this weekend making it her second album to come out in less than 6 months.

To make her weekend even better, she won her first grammy award for best pop vocal album. Although she wasn’t at the award show herself see took to her twitter and said, “this is wild and beautiful.thank you so much.” She later continued to thank everyone that helped her with the creation of her album, and ended by telling her fans, “but mostly thank y’all for being my main source of joy and inspiration always”.

Ariana Grande’s career may have started 12 years ago as a broadway actress, but has grown to become one of the most popular musicians of our current time. Her upcoming “Sweetener” tour will begin on March 2019 in the U.S with 50 shows before heading to Europe. For tickets and update on her music you could visit arianagrande.com .

Khelyn Arteaga

St. John's '21

A senior legal studies major at St.John's University. A New York City native that loves musical theater, hanging out with her friends, and going to Bryant park during holiday season.
London-Calderon is a Senior at St. John's University and is EIC for the chapter. She spends her time writing, listening to music and working on several unfinished books. When she graduates she plans on going into the workforce and reporting for a publication. She is also an intern at Newsday Media.