This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Television has become something important to America. Starting with the classics of I Love Lucy and The Brady Bunch, Americans have gathered around their couches to watch television shows for decades. Here are some modern shows that you should binge-watch right now. 

Euphoria 

Source: HBO

On HBO, this series explores what high school and college life is like in the modern age. The story follows a group of teens who are struggling with themselves in multiple ways. The main character is Rue, a recovering drug addict who recently got out of rehab with no desire to stay clean. The new girl, Jules, a transgender girl who is trying to find herself, and who befriends Rue at the beginning of the school year. In addition to Rue and Jules, there is Nate, the football player whose anger issues mask his sexual insecurities; Maddie his girlfriend who loves him to fault; Cassie, whose sexual history begins to haunt her; Chris, a jock who’s transition from high school to college is harder than expected; and Kat, an insecure teen who has a sexual awakening. As they struggle to decide what they want to do in the future, Euphoria explores the truth about anxiety-ridden days and drug-enhanced parties with total honesty, and compassion.   

Mr. Robot

Source: USA Network

Mr. Robot approaches its last season on USA this fall. The first episode aired on October 6th. With the recent Academy Award winner, Rami Malek starring in this hit show since 2015, his method acting techniques grew during this show’s process. An anti-social computer programmer Elliot works as a cybersecurity engineer during the day, but at night is a vigilante hacker, who stops at nothing to get what he wants. He is recruited by the mysterious leader of an underground group of hackers to join their organization. Elliot’s given task? Help bring down corporate America, including the company he is paid to protect, which presents him with a moral dilemma. His personal beliefs make it hard to resist the urge to take down the heads of multinational companies that he believes are ruining the world, but he is not turning back.   

It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Source: FXX

Starting its comedy show reign in 2005 on FXX, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, follows “The Gang”, a group of impure owners of the rundown Paddy’s Pub, who stop at nothing to flourish in each other’s misery. “The Gang” consists of Mac, Charlie, Dennis, Frank, and Dee. Whether gaming the welfare system, exploiting dumpster babies, pretending to be crippled, impersonating officers, or faking funerals, The Gang never gives up when it means making money. Season 14 recently started in September.   

Unbelievable 

Source: Netflix

Based on a true story that occurred in 2008, Unbelievable is about a teen who reports being raped, then recants her story due to being forced by the police. Two female detectives follow the evidence that could reveal the truth years later.  This is a new show on Netflix and a must-watch.

Big Mouth

Source: Netflix

Even for Andrew, a cartoon character, going through puberty isn’t easy for a young person. Andrew is learning that first hand as he experiences the nightmare that is maturing in this animated series geared toward adults on Netflix. 

Maniac

Source: Netflix

With stars, Emma Stone, and Jonah Hill, Annie Landsberg and Owen Milgrim are two strangers who are drawn to the late stages of a mysterious pharmaceutical trial. Each ha a different reason for participating in the experiment. The strange, yet hopeful treatment, using pills that the inventor claims can repair anything about the mind, draws Annie, Owen, and others into a three-day drug trial that supposedly will permanently solve all of their personal and mental problems, with no complications or side effects.   

Ivy Bourke

St. John's '23

St John’s Student who is studying Sports Management with a minor in journalism. I plan to change the sports world for the better and have women be represented in all aspects of the world.
Chanelle Norman

St. John's '20

Chanelle is a graduate of St. John's University '20 and former Editor-in-Chief for the chapter. When she's not sleeping for ungodly hours at a time she spends her time reading, writing and watching movies. She's pursuing her dreams of working in the book industry.