Ranking Candy Hearts Sayings in Honor of Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

I had a valentine every year from the age of 5 to 13. By this, I do not mean that every year I had a special someone ask me to be their valentine. What I mean is that every year there was always that one kid who went above and beyond and gave everyone in the class a valentine’s day treat. Every year, without fail the treat would consist of a lollipop, a cheesy card, and those candy hearts with the sayings on them. While the taste of these candy hearts was subpar at best, what really made them stand out was the sayings on them. My friends and I would have full-on debates about who got the better saying on their candy hearts. So even though they did not taste great, the power these hearts held was unmatched. Today my friends and I went into the 99¢ store for a friend’s upcoming birthday when I saw the candy hearts again. Obviously, I had to buy them strictly for sentimental reasons. Back in my dorm we each picked out a different color heart with a different saying in them and discussed who had the best one. Here is our data 

14.) Don’t be that way: Coming in at dead last is “Don’t be that way” we all unanimously decided that this was the worst one. Not only is it extremely negative, but it has nothing to do with love. This saying is not in the spirit of Valentine’s day. It was decided amongst the group that none of us would appreciate getting this from a valentine. 

13.) Hi Chick: While there is nothing really wrong with this one, it just did not stand out in any way. We also decided that none of us would ever say that to the other. Hi chick sounds awkward, almost as if you are talking to a baby bird and we are not birds. 

12.) Love me: The forwardness is appreciated, however, it is still a little aggressive. If I wanted to win someone’s heart I would never just walk up to them and say ‘love me.’ It comes off aggressive and I would not suggest saying this to your crush. 

11.) Wise Guy: This sounds like something an angry grandfather would say. While I can appreciate angry grandfather sayings, I am also a woman of taste. I personally would not appreciate getting called a ‘wise guy.’ and I don’t think many of you would either. 

10.) Date me: This one, like ‘love me’ is very forward. However, unlike ‘love me’ it’s less creepy. It’s 2021 everybody go ask out your crush. 

9.) Be my love dove: While very cute and romantic, we all agreed that if someone ever said this to us we would immediately be a little  

8.) Super cool: This one is a solid 8, strictly because it is better than the previous ones, but not quite as great as the ones who come after it. The quote does not stick out amongst a crowd. 

7.) Bye Cutie: I am going to start saying this to my friends whenever we say goodbye. It’s so cute and very endearing. It does make me a bit sad that it says bye instead of hi which is why this one is not higher up. 

6.) Groovy: The other night my friend and I watched “Dazed and Confused” a movie based in the seventies. This is the sole reason why it’s so high on the list. We want to bring back the seventies aesthetic and the best place to start is by using their slang. 

5.) Be Mine: In fifth place, we have ‘Be mine.’ This is a classic and something very sweet. If someone were to say this to me I would be smitten. Something about it is very wholesome, I can tell that the person who says this has no ill intentions. 

4.) My Love: As a term of endearment, ‘My love’ is ranked pretty high. What more could someone want than to be called ‘my love’ by their SO or best friend. It stands out amongst the crowd because of how endearing it is 

3) Darling: Short and sweet. I love calling my friends ‘darling’ because it’s comforting and lets them know how much I love them. Call your friends or significant other darling whenever you can! 

2.) Be good to me: It’s 2021 and we are not settling for less. Make sure you let everyone know how you want to be treated. Everyone deserves to be treated well and with respect and you have the right to demand it if you feel that it isn’t happening.  

1.) Snug as a Bug: As someone who loves her bed and cuddling this one is my personal favorite. I, like everyone else, believe that being snug as a bug is a very important step in self-care. If you aren’t doing anything this Valentine’s day I would recommend getting into bed, snuggling up, and watching a movie. 

Delaney Rauch

St. John's '24

Delaney Rauch is a freshman communcation arts major here at St. John's. Delaney is originally from Providence, Rhode Island but has started making her home in New York. Delaney loves to go thrifting, walk through musems, find cute coffee houses, and always there to talk about important issues.
Ivy Bourke

St. John's '23

Campus Correspondent for St. John's. I am a Sports Management major with a concentration in Business Administration, and a minor in Journalism. My passion for writing has never dulled so I hope to always use this passion for entertainment, and change.