Wellness > Health

Period Hacks to Alleviate Your Discomfort 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

It’s no secret that every woman dreads their monthly cycle. It brings nothing but pimples, body aches, mood swings, and menstrual cramps. When you live on campus and you’re around the same females every day, it’s typical for all of your periods to sync up. Despite these circumstances, everyone’s body sends them warning signs that their period is on the way. So, I have compiled five period hacks that can help reduce the pain and help you feel more in control during menstruation. 

1. Use a heating pad

Menstrual cramps cause a painful tightness in the stomach, and this pain typically lasts for a few days. A heating pad helps loosen up your stomach muscles and alleviates discomfort. 

1. Avoid junk food, processed meals, and sweet snacks 

You should eat balanced meals during your period. Period cravings can cause you to crave junk food which lacks the necessary nutrients your body needs during this time. It is much better to eat these foods in moderation due to the hormonal shift your body is currently undergoing.  

1. Adequate sleep is essential 

Fatigue can often occur when you are not able to sleep due to the discomfort you are feeling. Your body needs more time to recuperate as a result of all the blood you’re losing in the process. The most beneficial position to sleep in during your period is on your back. Naps are also great to take during the day. If you try taking medicine before bed it can help you sleep through the night.

1. Drink plenty of fluids 

It is important to keep the body hydrated during this time as that can alleviate some of the pain. If the body becomes dehydrated, it can possibly lead to a longer period. The best types of fluids for your cycle are water, chamomile tea, vegetable juice, and fruit smoothies. 

1. Do yoga exercises 

Yoga can relieve the pressure created by menstrual cramps. The position you choose should remove tension in your abdomen, lower back, pelvic area, and other places you are feeling discomfort. Additionally, the breathing techniques that are a component of yoga can distract your mind from the pain you are experiencing. 

I hope my recommendations can bring you some peace during that time of the month. Every little thing counts when you are trying to feel better. We are stronger than the pain that comes our way.

Jazmyne Easley

St. John's '23

Hi! I am Jazmyne Easley ! I am a criminal justice major with a concentration in forensic psychology. During my journey at St.John's I have been inducted into honor societies and promoted as team leader at my campus job pretty early into my college career. I love to shop, read, write, and hang out with friends/family. I am the CEO of GlamourGirl Lash Bar !NC. I've had a passion for writing since I was a little girl. I always felt that I could express myself in a manner that is unmatched through my writing. I am super excited about my journey with Her Campus ! Ig@_1jse