This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

It is now February of 2021. In a month, it will have been a year since the coronavirus has swept over the globe. Now, I know everyone wants to bury this grim chapter of their lives in the deep recesses of their minds. After all, the past year presented an array of emotions: dread, melancholy, anger, fear, restlessness, and possibly hints of joy for some of us. Yet, this was a significant time in my life. Not only did I turn 18, but I also graduated high school and started college. All the traditions and events I once eagerly looked forward to were stripped away right before my eyes; living in lockdown and masked faces became our new normal. However, as Newton’s third law of motion goes, every action has an opposite and equal reaction. Just how the pandemic stole many memorable moments while also providing me with valuable lessons.        

“Time is like a river. You cannot touch the same water twice because the flow that has passed will never pass again.” ~ Edith Besha

During the first few months of the pandemic, my schedule consisted of waking up, eating, praying, doing homework, texting my friends, reading, occasionally watching a movie or television, and sleeping. If I had to sum it up in one word, it would be monotonous. Although I spent most of my free time reading books as a form of escape from our dystopian world, a feeling of cold emptiness settled within me. Whenever I looked at the clock, I realized that time was slowly withering away. I know, you are probably wondering what that sentence even means. So here is my explanation: there was so much time on my hands, that it seemed like I was letting it rot. Sure, I was using it for my beloved hobbies, but I wanted to do more, like learn a new language or cook some new recipes. Ambition, curiosity, and initiative eventually crept up on me, allowing me to come to the conclusion that time does not wait for anyone. It will continue on its journey to forge ahead. Rather than waiting for the right time to do something, go and make it the right time. Within the nooks and crannies of your busy agenda, you might be able to find some time to discover yourself. Yes, it might be daunting to balance your busy life and your new endeavors once things return to normal, but it will be so worth it.  

“When all the dust is settled and all the crowds are gone, the things that matter are…family.” ~ Barbara Bush

Being stuck in my apartment greatly limited the number of people I could connect with. The only in-person social interaction I would receive would be from my mother and father. Before the pandemic, I would take my parent’s presence for granted. My nose would be buried inside my homework or prep books every single day. There were only rare occasions where I found myself helping my mother in the kitchen or playing badminton with my father. Otherwise, my life revolved around school. 

The exponentially rising death toll in the United States made my stomach churn. With it, the fragility of life became more apparent. No one knows when they will pass away. Once my parents are gone, I will be left all alone. Family is an irreplaceable pillar that comforts us when we are weak and prepares us to stand strong in the midst of obstacles. That is why I take time out of my day and spend it with both my parents, regardless of the activity, whether it be simple grocery shopping or playing cards. Even now, when I am juggling my immense college workload, I make sure to set it aside because my loved ones will always be my priority. 

“A good friend is someone who can celebrate with you at your best and believe in you at your worst.”   

First off, a huge shout out to all my close friends for being with me and my best and worst, especially since I kept alternating between the two over the course of this pandemic. I am so grateful for all of them because they pushed me to believe in myself during a time where I would be starting the next stage of my life without them. Unfortunately, none of my best friends go to college with me. On top of that, I was starting a week earlier than the rest of them. Additionally, I had both online and in-person classes whereas they were fully remote for the first semester. I vividly remember walking into campus and sitting on a bench thinking about how much I missed them. Thank god for texting and video calls. When my mood was off, they would send screenshots of One Direction to cheer me up. We still text every day, regardless of our immense workloads, and call every now and then. So keep people like these close with you forever, because they truly are a treasure. 

These practically sum up all the lessons I have acquired throughout the past year and I am pretty sure I am not the only one that has learned plenty of things. So take some time to reflect, because you will realize how much you have grown, and for that alone, you should be proud. 

Sharupa Azmal

St. John's '24

Sharupa Azmal is a junior who is majoring in Pharmacy at St. John’s University. Besides writing for Her Campus, she finds herself journaling or blogging frequently. Her other pastimes include reading books and webtoons, watching movies (yes Bollywood films are included), and dragging her friends on little trips throughout New York City.
Ivy Bourke

St. John's '23

Campus Correspondent for St. John's. I am a Sports Management major with a concentration in Business Administration, and a minor in Journalism. My passion for writing has never dulled so I hope to always use this passion for entertainment, and change.