The Negative Stigma Surrounding Sororities, & Why It Needs To Go

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

2015 was a year that brought the negative stigma surrounding sororities to the forefront of college and university life. The media confidently proclaimed that ‘Bama’s recruitment video was “worse for women than Donald Trump”, and horror stories of hazing incidents flooded all social media and news outlets. However, only a few stories of sisterhood, kindness, and community service received such attention. Why is it that women in Greek organizations are more commonly associated with stupidity and cruelty, than the sisterhood and values that really define them?

Sorority women are too frequently understood to be shallow party queens. Women who go out every night to get drunk and high and hook up with fraternity brothers. This is not the case, and the stereotyping of sorority women needs to end. Sororities are built upon foundations of friendship and sisterhood. They are organizations that foster close bonds within womanhood. Women all throughout SJU Greek life, no matter which sorority they belong to, have found their home away from home. The women involved in SJU Greek life are unlike others. They are diverse and unique, coming from all different ethnic and racial backgrounds and expressing interest in different fields of study, extracurricular activities, and hobbies. They are women who are smart and philanthropic, kind and determined to follow bright futures. The Greek women of SJU are something to be genuinely proud of. If the negative stigma surrounding sororities has in any way influenced your opinion of Greek life, don’t let it. Each of the sorority sisters at SJU is special and one-of-a-kind. If you open your mind to the sororities and their sisters, you won’t be disappointed. Go Greek!

Shoreline Bum. Writer. Artist. Future Lawyer. Connecticut Girl with a Big City State of Mind.
Contributor Account