This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

This month streaming services went above and beyond with the catalog of movies on their platforms. Legally blonde and the entire Chucky series have found a new home for the time being at Netflix. Several must-watch shows such as ‘Them’ have been released on Amazon Prime, and much like their competitors, Hulu has updated their catalog with an abundance of nostalgic early 2000s movies. One, in particular, that has caught my eye was “Napoleon Dynamite.” In the early 2000s, I saw several pop-culture references related to the movie, such as the iconic ‘Vote for Pedro’ t-shirts and the tater tots bid. But I have never watched the film. Ranked as number 14 on bravos top 100 comedy movies, the movie has garnered people’s attention from all walks of life. So I decided one afternoon to dedicate some time to watch the movie and believe me when I tell you it was worth it. 

*Warning: Spoliers Ahead!* 

The movie is set in a small town in Idaho called Preston. It follows a quirky young boy named Napoleon Dynamite, who is quick to tell anyone off. This is not limited to his unrealistic older brother Kip who spends his time chatting with online girls and looking for an opportunity to show off his reflex skills in combat. It is pretty clear he doesn’t have any. The two stay with their grandmother, an adventurous woman who keeps this a secret from the boys, and ends up breaking her coccyx on a trip. Napoleon must carry on with day-to-day life, including feeding a tie-up llama named Tina and avoiding school bullies. This seems all too unbearable until he is introduced to a quirky transfer student named Pedro and a shy girl named Deb. Although he doesn’t express it at first, Napoleon is smitten with Deb and even tells her that her drinking 1% milk is unnecessary because she isn’t fat in his eyes. And they say chivalry is dead. 

Napoleon seems to have a handle on things besides having his tater tots smashed in his pocket; when his overbearing uncle Rico starts looking after the boys. Napoleon and his uncle often clash because of his uncles get rich quick schemes and overall treatment of Napoleon; including leaving him in the car as he conducts business, making Napoleon late to pick up his prom date. While the two butt heads, Kip’s “soulmate” by the name of LaFawnduh arrives from Detroit to Idaho and is honestly the saddest character in the whole movie. 

School elections approach, and Pedro, against all odds, run against popular girl Summer. As Napoleon and Pedro team up to the campaign. Rico decides to promote his scheme of breast enhancement products to local high school girls. Gross right. He even extends his service to Deb and says that Napoleon thought she might benefit from the product; of course, it is a lie Napoleon loves all figure women. But Deb feels humiliated and decides to end her friendship with Napoleon but not before telling him off. The relationship between Rico and Napoleon now comes to a head, and it is clear that Rico has overstayed his welcome. 

As the election comes to an end, Summer and Pedro deliver speeches that are honestly nothing compared to the epic dance break Napoleon delivers on behalf of Pedro. It was truly the most memorable scene in the whole movie, and honestly, if your friend isn’t willing to give a dance performance in front of the entire student body for you, it’s time to get a new friend. 

Overall the movie may start slow, but it will leave you with a satisfying feeling. I enjoyed the movie, and it gives off a nostalgic feel. So my rating an 8/10.

Amaya Locke

St. John's '23

I am a current student at St.John’s University, majoring in marketing with a minor in international business. I am an avid writer and collector of books I forget about in a week. In my free time, I like to write, do nails and binge-watch shows that have been off the air for years. Join me in my journey!
Ivy Bourke

St. John's '23

Campus Correspondent for St. John's. I am a Sports Management major with a concentration in Business Administration, and a minor in Journalism. My passion for writing has never dulled so I hope to always use this passion for entertainment, and change.