Naomi Girma: A Woman in Sports Society Needs to Acknowledge

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

When thinking of women in sports, the most well-known, talented and experienced players are the first ones to come to mind. People often fail at expanding their horizons to other female athletes and their accomplishments, despite the level of athletic success they obtain. 

Naomi Girma is a key player on the United States Women’s National Soccer Team, but many people tend to leave her name out of the discussion. Girma is a defender of the USWNT, and she’s also one of the newest additions to the team. Girma had previously started for the USWNT at the youth level, and she was even the captain of the U-20 (under-20) team. 

Dating back to March 2020, Girma and the U.S. U-20 national team returned from World Cup and qualified in the Dominican Republic. By the end of that year, Girma was named U.S. Soccer Young Female Player of the Year. This award has been given to many well-known players such as Abby Wambach (she has won six times), Tobin Heath, and Mallory Pugh. Having won the same award as these prominent players, it is clear that Girma will be following in their footsteps in more ways than one. 

Prior to Girma’s USWNT days, she played a major part in helping Stanford University win the NCAA Championship in 2019 as the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year. As a college sophomore, Girma was already the team captain during this game. Receiving the title of captain, especially at such a young age, is a key accomplishment to recognize as it is a reflection of who Girma is as a player. 

In 2021, the NWSL draft (National Women’s Soccer League) took place and Girma was the No.1 pick. She then began her career on the professional team, San Diego Wave FC. The fact that Girma got picked first speaks volumes about how valuable she is as a player.

Not only was she welcomed onto the team, but at practice every day, she would be playing against one of the best forwards in the world, Alex Morgan. Additionally, Girma’s coach, Casey Stoney, played in three World Cups and consistently pushed her team. Having these women as mentors proves that Girma’s career and talent will continue to not only improve, but last. On a recent episode of Goal.com’s podcast titled, “All of US: The Women’s Soccer Show,” Girma stated, “The level is higher, the players are better and playing against one of the top players in the world every day.”

Girma’s professional career may be in its beginning phase, but that does not mean she won’t take off anytime soon. Naomi Girma has proved herself time and time again that she is where she deserves to be. After all she has accomplished over the recent years, Girma has made a lasting impression so early in her career that showcases her true talent. Next time you are watching a USWNT game, make sure to take your eyes off Megan Rapinoe for just a second to see the talented Naomi Girma. 

References

Oxenham, G. (2022, June 29). Naomi Girma’s journey, support system led her to USWNT opportunity. Sports Illustrated. Retrieved October 16, 2022, from https://www.si.com/soccer/2022/06/29/naomi-girma-san-diego-wave-uswnt-daily-cover 

Youth WNT. (2020, December 21). Naomi Girma named U.S. Soccer Young Female Player of the Year. SoccerWire. Retrieved October 16, 2022, from https://www.soccerwire.com/news/u-20-uswnt-captain-naomi-girma-named-u-s-soccer-young-female-player-of-the-year/ 

Antonucci, L., & Azzi, A. (2022, April 8). ‘Just chill’ Naomi Girma could make USWNT debut vs. Uzbekistan. On Her Turf. Retrieved October 17, 2022, from https://onherturf.nbcsports.com/2022/04/08/naomi-girma-san-diego-wave-uswnt/ 

Gianna Mauriello

St. John's '26

Gianna is currently a freshman at St. John’s University in Queens, NY. She is studying speech pathology in hopes to one day work with children who have speech impediments and disorders. She can be found reading, going to concerts, trying new food places, exploring, and always obsessing over Harry Styles.