Feature Hero Womens Studies Hero
Feature Hero Womens Studies Hero
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media
Life > Experiences

My Transition from High School to College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

I always thought that my high school experience would be like the movies. Boy, was I wrong! One thing that I can say is present within most high schools is cliques. There is no harm in intermingling with cliques that best fit you from time to time. I just knew that a clique didn’t define me so I rarely associated with them. 

College gave me the opportunity and the voice to become the woman I was meant to be. I have received limitless opportunities that were rarely afforded to me during my high school career. I learned that opportunities are one in a million. It’s up to you to make the best of them!

How different is high school from college? 

High school doesn’t accurately prepare you for what is to come when you start college. In my experience as a high school student, I watched students get babied by the teachers who carried them to the finish line. I normally saw it through extra credit opportunities that were offered to those whose grades were not meeting the standards. Unfortunately, a lot of students were more focused on engaging in drama instead of worrying about the status of their academics. 

I also began to realize that the friends you thought had your back are really enemies hidden in disguise. I didn’t end up realizing this until my senior year when I was surrounded by snakes who couldn’t stand to see my light shine. After graduation, I was free of toxic relationships, unmotivated individuals, and constant drama.

Despite the significant differences that appear between the two, the transition to college is a huge adjustment for everyone. It took me a while to come to terms with the transition because I had never experienced it before. 

During my senior year, I was on a mission to get into a college in New York. I was told by fellow classmates that they didn’t see me getting into any schools here. This statement alone became my drive to prove that those haters were wrong about me. I got accepted into my top school in New York while they stayed in state. I found that I just really needed a change of scenery. I have been in Philadelphia all my life and I felt there were no longer opportunities for me there.

The institution I chose to further my education, opened opportunities that I didn’t even know existed. College can supply you with resources and a type of experience that high school can’t provide. As a student, you are expected to meet deadlines, be present in classes, and have classroom etiquette. Professors hold you to specific responsibilities that must be completed each academic week or your grade will be highly affected. 

The only thing is the price of paying for tuition and textbooks burns a hole in your pocket. Sometimes, a price tag means nothing when your academic career is benefiting in the end. The ideal social life you dream to have is possible at any university you attend. The people you meet in college typically become the friends you have for life. 

Overall, high school and college are different from each other in many ways. The life experiences you learn from both will prepare you for entering the real world.

Jazmyne Easley

St. John's '23

Hi! I am Jazmyne Easley ! I am a criminal justice major with a concentration in forensic psychology. During my journey at St.John's I have been inducted into honor societies and promoted as team leader at my campus job pretty early into my college career. I love to shop, read, write, and hang out with friends/family. I am the CEO of GlamourGirl Lash Bar !NC. I've had a passion for writing since I was a little girl. I always felt that I could express myself in a manner that is unmatched through my writing. I am super excited about my journey with Her Campus ! Ig@_1jse