This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

TRIGGER WARNING: This movie contains violence, profanity, sexual abuse, and other related subjects.

Do you ever find yourself struggling to find a good movie to watch when you want to relax? Well, lucky for you, I have a great film recommendation that will keep you on edge of your seat. The new drama/thriller film, Girl in the Closet will keep your eyes glued to the screen, but beware as the show can be pretty dark and graphic so watch with caution. 

WARNING: Spoilers Ahead

The film is set in Atlanta, Georgia, where ten-year-old Cameron is living with her mother Patricia. Unfortunately, Patricia ends up suffering from a brain aneurysm, causing her to remain in the hospital for weeks. During this time, Patricia gives legal guardianship of her daughter Cameron to her sister Mia until she’s fully recovered. 

As Cameron enters her new home, she finds that Aunt Mia’s husband, Chris, and her daughter, Angela, live there. Nancy who is a fellow captive takes Cameron to her new room (which is the basement) where she is then held captive for several years. This heinous act really solidified the idea that blood is not always thicker than water.

While she is in captivity, Cameron meets Joanne, Nancy, and Harland, all of whom are victims like her. They endure physical abuse, starvation, assault, emotional abuse, and much more. Cameron’s captivity leads her mother into a downward spiral due to the incompetency of child protective services. The innocence that was taken from Cameron robs her of the opportunity to be a kid. 

Despite the graphic themes and disturbing plot, I would give this movie a 10/10. Whenever you have the chance, you should tune into this movie. This movie is available to stream through the Lifetime channel, and they feature phenomenal films that are based on real-life events. This movie can only be streamed on Lifetime and Spectrum TV. 

Happy watching! I promise you will not be disappointed! 

Jazmyne Easley

St. John's '23

Hi! I am Jazmyne Easley ! I am a criminal justice major with a concentration in forensic psychology. During my journey at St.John's I have been inducted into honor societies and promoted as team leader at my campus job pretty early into my college career. I love to shop, read, write, and hang out with friends/family. I am the CEO of GlamourGirl Lash Bar !NC. I've had a passion for writing since I was a little girl. I always felt that I could express myself in a manner that is unmatched through my writing. I am super excited about my journey with Her Campus ! Ig@_1jse