Movie Review: El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

If there was a show that could actually change my life, Breaking Bad would be it. I’m late to the game I know, but I watched all 5 seasons of the award-winning show over break after multiple people telling me for years to watch it. From the character developments to the casting, to the writing of the show, I was hooked immediately. For most of my winter break, you could find me on the couch glued to the TV watching episode after episode. The worst thing about this masterpiece was that it ended, but my disappointment quickly turned to excitement when I discovered the long-awaited sequel to Breaking Bad called El Camino. Released in 2019, El Camino follows the journey of Jesse Pinkman after the conclusion of the series. Unlike many people who watched the show live from 2008-2013, I was able to watch El Camino (and get the closure I needed), right after I finished the series. My favorite character in Breaking Bad is Jesse Pinkman. His bold personality, witty sense of humor, and transformation over the course of the show made me sympathize with him, and when Breaking Bad started to come to a close my first question was; “what happened to Jesse?” That question, in my opinion, is the sole reason for El Camino. I won’t lie, I had extremely high expectations but I was also prepared for disappointment when it came to this movie. It was still written by Vince Gilligan, but sequels have a tendency to fall short when it comes to authenticity. I was not disappointed however in any way. I wish El Camino was longer because the movie was so well done. Somehow in 2 hours, the producers of this movie managed to wrap up Jesse’s story as well as incorporate some old characters while doing the show justice and allowing fans a proper goodbye to Jesse and the series that we deserve. Of course, nothing can beat Breaking Bad, but I think that El Camino did what it needed to do and did the series and characters justice. If you haven’t watched Breaking Bad, I encourage you to go do it (like seriously, now) and then check out El Camino on Netflix as well (you won’t regret it).

Taylor is a Senior English major at St. John's University. After college, she plans on pursuing graduate school and a career in Higher Education Administration.