Wellness > Mental Health

Motivation 101: How to Get and Stay Motivated

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Sometimes it is hard to find the motivation to do the little things, especially schoolwork. Transitioning into a new school year and courses can be challenging to navigate, mainly when your classes are at random times throughout the day. Finding what works for you is about balancing hard work and giving yourself a break when needed. Here are some helpful tips to guide you in finding the inspiration to get motivated!!

1. Wake Up Early

I know this one sounds basic and most people probably dread it, but hear me out. You do not need to get up when the sun rises, but waking up a little earlier gives you some time to get organized for the day. This could be any little task to get you feeling accomplished before your day begins. For example, I’ll wake up and make my bed or do my laundry, just a little something to get me motivated for a successful day.

2. Plan Out Homework Time

As college students, we all get homework. To stay motivated and feel accomplished, it is best to stay on top of the workload and not procrastinate. By blocking out times of the day to do work, you are holding yourself accountable. With this, you can find what times work best for you. Personally, I like doing my homework in the early afternoon. So, I’ll head over to the library either after my morning classes or before my afternoon classes to accomplish all my tasks  

3. Knowing What Works For You

Some people work better independently and in a quiet place, while others like to be accompanied by peers and in a bustling location. Personally, I love to be alone and in a quiet location, so I tend to go to a cubicle in the library. If you are more into working in a social setting, I recommend grabbing a friend and heading over to a restaurant or coffee spot. Knowing what location is best for you will ensure you stay on top of your work and are productive with your time.  

4. Reward Yourself

With all this hard work, you need to give yourself a reward to keep motivated. This could be a cup of coffee or a set amount of time on your phone to just mindlessly scroll through social media. For me, I love to sip a coffee or eat a snack after I finish my work to nourish myself after all I’ve accomplished. Balancing a large workload can be difficult, but with small rewards throughout, it is possible.  

5. Do Not Overwork Yourself

When having a heavy workload, you can sometimes feel the need to keep working until everything is done. However, this is not healthy. When you are always going and going, it starts to completely drain you. Knowing when to put the books down for the night is important to keep your spirits and motivation high. If you are constantly working, your work will not be to your best potential.

Overall, I hope these tips to stay motivated can help in the future. Motivation is all about giving yourself rewards for hard work and knowing your own working methods. Finding the balance can be difficult at times, but once you do, you can produce your best work!

Gianna Plavier

St. John's '26

Hi! My name is Gianna Plavier and I am a freshman at St. John's University. I am from Oakland, New Jersey and I am an Art History major. I am super excited about writing for Her Campus and also working on all the committees to get involved wherever I can!