This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

After marrying in 2014, and having four children together, Kim Kardashian filed for divorce from husband Kayne West in February of 2021. Although separated, Kim continued to support Kanye with his professional endeavors. She attended Kanye’s various listening parties for his newest album, Donda, and even went onstage in a wedding gown to support his “vision” of a song. There was never bad blood between the two until recently, when Kanye West began to use Instagram to publicly share his problems with Kim Kardashian. The first incident that caught social media’s attention was Kanye allegedly not being invited to his daughter’s, Chicago’s birthday party, which was a joint celebration with Kyle Jenner’s daughter, Stormi. Kanye posted a video on Instagram telling the world that he wasn’t allowed to know where the birthday party was and how he just wanted to wish her a happy birthday. A photo later confirmed that Kanye was eventually allowed to attend the party and he revealed that Travis Scott, Stormi’s father, let him know where the party was being held. The next social media incident was when Kanye discovered that his oldest daughter North had a TikTok account, completely monitored by her mother Kim. He posted on Instagram, “Since this is my first divorce I need to know what I should do about my daughter being put on TikTok against my will?”, digging at Kim’s three divorces and claiming he disapproves of his daughter’s TikTok account. Until then, Kim Kardashian remained silent about her divorce and situation with Kanye. After this outburst she wrote on her Instagram, “Kanye’s constant attacks on me in interviews and on social media is actually more hurtful than any TikTok North might create…As the parent who is the main provider and caregiver for our children, I am doing my best to protect our daughter while also allowing her to express her creativity in the medium that she wishes with adult supervision — because it brings her happiness”, showing her support of North’s social media platform and her decisions as a mother. In my opinion, situations that involve your children should be kept private and not posted on various social media platforms for the public to mock and get involved with. Eventually, their children will grow up and read all about this if North already hasn’t, and wonder why their problems were shared with millions of people that they don’t even know. 

Not only did Kanye continue to taunt Kim about their children, he began to attack her new boyfriend, Pete Davidson. Kanye began to post numerous photos on his Instagram mocking Pete Davidson, and I mean NUMEROUS. He even released a segment of his new song that has the lyrics, “God saved me from that crash, Just so I can beat Pete Davidson’s ass”, posing violence on his ex’s new boyfriend. Kanye eventually posted a text message from Kim asking to please stop posting things about Pete as he is promoting violence and danger. The text included, “Someone will hurt Pete and this will be all your fault”. Kanye’s Instagram postings ultimately became a great concern for not only Kim and the kids, but for Kanye himself. Normally something like this would be forgotten or not taken seriously by the public, however Kanye West has been struggling with Bipolar disorder for years and was officially diagnosed in 2016. Posts like these can indicate an “episode” and should be taken seriously by those close to West. I can understand why a father would be upset about a new man entering his ex wife’s and children’s lives, but Kanye was also dating Julia Fox during all of this, making himself a hypocrite. He was allowed to have a new relationship, but Kim couldn’t? All in all, I think Kanye needs serious and professional help. What he is doing is wrong and he does suffer from mental illness. I hope Kanye will eventually learn from this and be the best father he can be.

Isabel O'Neill

St. John's '22

I am a senior Adolescent Education major with a concentration in Spanish. I enjoy writing about pop culture, current events, important topics, and things that make me happy. You can find me shopping, at Chipotle or listening to Harry Styles :)