kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kaizen nguy n jcLcWL8D7AQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Johnny’s Declassified Finals Week Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

College is all fun and games until you realize that you’ve left everythign for the last minute, am I right?  The amount of information you have to cram is insane and your professors throw assignments at you that you had no idea were a ~thing~. When finals come around one can’t help but feel overwhlemed and stressed. It seems that this is part of the typical college experience… but this #FinalsSzn keep yourself in check with these tips, straight from someone trying to follow them herself and make it through the week.  

Tip #1: Be proactive and prepared.

In order to have a successful finals period, make sure you know everything you need to get accomplished during the week in advance. Make a list of everything you have due and the dates they’re to be turned in. Also make a daily schedule of all your classes, meetings and extracurricular activities, and final exam times, so that you remember all that you have to do.

Something that will also help you during Finals Week is having study guides and other study materials (like flashcards) prepared. This will allow you to go over the material repeatedly and, hopefully, make it easier to understand and memorize. However, try not to cram all the information at once! Remember you are taking several exams in one week, don’t overwhelm yourself with an influx of information at the last minute. Give yourself ample time to review for each class.

Know that there are a number of resources available that will ensure that you do your best, so if you need an extra set of eyes to go over your research paper or you just don’t understand a certain topic in your Econ class, pay a visit to the Writing Center or Learning Commons in the library. Also, don’t be afraid to reach out to your professors if you are struggling with something! Asking for help is nothing to be ashamed of, on the contrary, they’ll take that as a sign that you are trying your best, something they’ll greatly appreciate.

Tip #2: Get motivated.

Towards the end of the school year it is easy to lose your focus and your motivation. Trust me, I know the feeling… but, for this week, make sure you think positive and engage in activities that keep you upbeat and prompts you to do your best. This process is different for everybody. Find the things you find fit you the best: listen to your favorite tunes, take a shower in the morning, make time for the gym everyday. Whatever it is that gives you that little extra push we all need during Finals Week DO IT.

Tip #3: Stay healthy.

It may seem like your only options are to hole yourself up in the library and drink three large cups of coffee a day in order to get through the week, but remember that staying healthy greatly helps with your levels of energy and ability to focus.

Studies have shown that physical activity is linked to a person’s ability to memorize information. Therefore, make sure you take some time out of your day to stay active! Hit the gym, do some yoga in your dorm, or do something as simple as taking the stairs to class next time. Eating the right foods will also improve your concentration and your ability to retain information, as well as help you avoid getting sick.  Don’t let the stress of finals take over your life and ruin your daily routines, as the effect of this will follow you well after school is over.

Also, make sure you stay hydrated and get a full 8 cups of water a day minimum (a bonus to this is glowing skin and healthier hair and who doesn’t want that now that summer is coming up?). Last, but definitely not least, GET SOME SLEEP. Pulling all nighters every night will have the opposite effect of what you want to accomplish. What good would it be if you study all night but then space out during the exam because of how tired you are? Try to get at least 5 to 6 hours of sleep each night.

Tip #4: Treat yourself.

Remember to not overwhelm yourself, and to allow yourself to take a breather from now and then. Catch up on some Z’s with a quick power nap, watch the newest episode of your favorite show, pick up some late night cravings, do some coloring! Pace yourself when it comes to studying and allow yourself to relax.

Above all, remember to prioritize your mental health! Know that you are not alone and there are plenty of people on campus who are here to help you. Reach out to your friends, RA, or members of the SJU staff and faculty.

Tip #5: Pump yourself up!

Be focused. Be positive. Stay strong.

Think about how you have one week of school left and kill it! You’re going to do great!!!

Ana Vicens

St. John's

I am a 20 year old Communications major who followed her dreams and ended up in New York City. I am passionate about writing, traveling, food, and puppies! You can either find me exploring the city on the hunt for the perfect Instagram shot, or cuddled in bed watching Netflix (there's barely ever an in between).