Life > Experiences

Is it too Early to Start Celebrating Christmas?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Ah, the eternal question “Is it too Early to Start Celebrating Christmas?”

Short Answer: It could NEVER be too early.

Full Answer:

Personally, I am a “Celebrate Christmas all year long, leave the lights up as long as possible, play Christmas music all through November, leave up the tree until I absolutely have to take it down, snow globe collecting, cheesy Hallmark Christmas movie watching, gingerbread cookie house contest”, kind of person. However, I come from a family of mixed opinions where my sisters don’t share that same kind of enthusiasm for the holiday (insanity, right?). I somehow wonder how my love for Christmas has withstood all that “Bah Humbug” mentality.

When I think of Christmas, I have happy, warm memories. I think of family and love, smiles and laughter, snow and snow globes, and lights and music and movies. It’s almost hard for me to believe that there are people who wouldn’t want to celebrate Christmas year-round, but alas, they do indeed exist. My memories of Christmas and the feelings in the air during the season always fill me with such joy that I wish Christmas wasn’t just a once a year thing. I mean, is there any better feeling than sitting on your couch under a blanket, drinking eggnog, and watching Elf? I’ll answer this one: there’s not.

For me, and so many others, Christmas is happiness and love. If Christmas is anything like that to you, celebrate as early as you want and don’t let anyone stop you. After all, our world can be so negative at times, so I say we find those things that bring us happiness and make us feel good, and we embrace them. Even if that means putting up your Christmas tree November 1st, which believe me, I wish I could. In case you were wondering, in my humble opinion, Christmas season starts the second Halloween ends, takes a super brief break on the 3rd Thursday of November, and then you’re back in it until December 25th. And honestly, I don’t see an issue with this despite the many grinches surrounding me telling me it’s “too early”.

My parting words are these, and I don’t mean to get too serious guys. This is an upbeat article, but happiness isn’t always in full supply these days. So, if Christmas makes you happy, go put on your Christmas pajamas, find a cheesy, overplayed Christmas movie, maybe play a little Christmas music, pour yourself a cup of eggnog, and let yourself enjoy the season. And don’t let anyone tell you it’s ever too early to start celebrating.

Grace Kelly

St. John's '25

Grace is in her second year at St. John's University majoring in Adolescent Education with a concentration in English. She enjoys reading, writing, exploring the city, and watching rom-coms in her free time.