Insecure: Series Finale Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

WARNING: Slight spoilers Ahead!

It brings me great sadness to even have to write this following line, but it’s time to talk about the series finale of my FAVORITE show, Insecure. This was a show that many of us loved, and many of us had been wondering and formulating questions about throughout the series. Will Issa finally get what she wants? Does Molly find true love? Will Issa make the right decisions to finally live the life she had been envisioning all along? Well, let’s talk about it.

For the finale, there are a series of birthdays taking place. When I first watched the episode, I was questioning why all of these birthdays were constantly happening. It felt a bit chaotic. However after rewatching, I realized that these birthdays were symbolizing the growth the characters were going through. Throughout this series, we have grown to love these characters despite the extremely stupid decisions they have made. We also see the characters grow heavily within their lives, especially regarding the dreams they had. Issa grew the most in my opinion and she came a long way from her days at “We Got Y’all”. After 5 seasons of watching this series, you start to feel personally connected to the characters, and it made me extremely proud to see Issa’s immense growth.

We also see the characters struggling to keep up with life. There is a scene where Molly’s birthday is coming up (again), and she and Issa speak about the reality of friendships and life. As we get older, we evolve and grow and start to drift further from the friends we have been around for so long. As an out-of-state college student, this is the unfortunate reality for me. It was a bit upsetting to see that this struggle does not get easier with age, but I loved that this struggle was touched on and talked about.

One of the main aspects of this show that I have always loved is the cinematography. The warm lighting, the shots of Los Angeles, and the music that pairs amazingly with the show has always stuck with me. Issa Rae and the whole Insecure team makes sure to show viewers the beauty and grit that L.A. has to offer. We don’t see the typical shots of Beverly Hills or Calabasas that most media depicts when a show is set in L.A., and I love this choice of cinematography. 

One downside of this episode was that I felt the ending was rushed. Yes, the finale episode was longer than the typical 30 minute ones, but there was just so much going on that I felt like we could’ve gotten another season or a couple more episodes. 

Now, let’s get to the big question that all viewers have been asking this whole series, how will Issa and Lawrence end? I was personally #TeamLawrence (sorry Nathan), so I was constantly rooting for Issa and him to get together despite feeling like that would never be able to happen. I will say that I was pleasantly surprised and absolutely elated with the way Issa’s love life played out (I don’t want to spoil it)!

Another aspect of the finale that I loved was the allusion to an episode towards the end of season 1. When Issa and Lawrence had broken up, Issa had a vision where Lawrence proposes and they have a child together. This vision may or may not have manifested in the series finale, and it may or may not have played out the way Issa had envisioned back in season 1.
Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed Insecure’s series finale. Before watching it, I was pondering how they could possibly wrap up this show, and I was very pleased with the ending. If you have not watched the series finale, watch it! If you have not watched Insecure at all, I highly suggest you watch this very binge-worthy show!

Amaiya Sancho

St. John's '25

Hi! My name is Amaiya Sancho, I'm from Columbia, Maryland, and I am the Vice President/Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus St. John’s. I am a Communications major, with three minors in Social Justice, Italian, and International Studies. Writing has always been a passion of mine, so I'm more than excited to be a part of HerCampus at St. John's!