This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

With the quick emergence and growth of the Coronavirus in early March, the transition from normal life to quarantine was a startling one. For students, this meant a balanced social and academic life suffering greatly. The switch from in-person classes to a complete virtual schedule was difficult for many. Academics were put on the back burner for many kids who experienced loss of family and friends due to the virus. With the downturn of the economy and the closure of many businesses, families struggled to stay afloat financially. These added pressures created a stew of overwhelming emotions for young people. The pandemic has had an overall negative and concerning the effect on mental health.

Academically, students and teachers across the nation have struggled to be successful with online learning. Many students have noted that teachers are overcompensating by assigning large amounts of work, amounts much larger than usual. Overwhelming amounts of work, paired with the decrease in outlets to cope with stress, has enabled some students to enter a downward spiral of stress, anxiety, and helplessness. 

After a racially-charged summer filled with political unrest and tragedy, students entered a new year with dim spirits. As students continue to fight their way towards winter break, the 2020 Presidential Election became yet another stress for many, who feared more political unrest. The emotions that result from these outside sources distract many students from achieving academic success. 

Regardless of societal and academic factors, many people struggle the most with a non-existent social life. The monotonous routines of quarantine have increased the likeliness of depression. For many students who chose to stay home this semester, the loneliness of isolation has made falling into depression even easier. 

Below are statements from students about the effects the pandemic has had on their mental health:

Anna Diaz (21), a sophomore from UAlbany, says the transition felt surreal and that she assumed it would be temporary. “This is our new sense of normal but it feels like this shouldn’t be the life we are living. School is important but it is hard to prioritize it because it feels unimportant compared to everything else in our lives at the moment. It has had a serious impact on my mental health because I have pre-existing conditions and it is hard to do well academically because the emphasis on school paired with the number of assignments feels like we are all just brushing the pandemic under the rug; it’s hard for me.”

Kyra Mann (20), a sophomore women’s basketball player at Drew University, says,” I definitely went through some depression in the beginning, because I didn’t see any of my friends or my boyfriend for months. It took some time to adjust to always being inside, and doing school online. Especially with me going to a new school, it’s been hard to make friends.”

Bianca Andre (20), a junior at Rockland Community College, says, “I had just decided to take a gap semester to try and figure out what path I think would fit my life best. However, this virus left me no choice but to deal with my personal tribulations holed up at home and away from everyone I love aside from my immediate family.”

Vanessa Dillard (20), a senior at St. John’s University, says,” It’s definitely different and stressful. The adjustment is overwhelming because I had never taken an online class and then switched to all virtual classes at one time. Also, it forces us to place trust in our professors to work with us and communicate because we can’t see them directly. The emotional aspect is a big factor as well. For me personally, it’s been difficult because a lot of changes are happening simultaneously and my transition from undergrad to law school has been a driving force in my stress this semester.”

According to the New England Journal of Medicine, “The COVID-19 pandemic has alarming implications for individual and collective health and emotional and social functioning.” It is apparent to me as a student, that the ability to function in a healthy manner has not been easy for many people. COVID-19 related stressors mixed with academic, professional, financial, and social stressors have debilitated many students. 

It is important to remember how the pandemic affects people differently. The stress factors during this time may impact people in different magnitudes. It is essential to keep in mind what works and doesn’t work for you personally. The CDC recommends healthy ways to cope with and reduce stress here.

Hi my name is Anna Goldberg and I am a junior Communications major from Eastern Connecticut. I am double minoring in Spanish and Journalism and choosing to pursue a media management concentration. Aside from writing for Her Campus, I work on campus in the Conference Services department and volunteer for admissions as a student ambassador.
Ivy Bourke

St. John's '23

Campus Correspondent for St. John's. I am a Sports Management major with a concentration in Business Administration, and a minor in Journalism. My passion for writing has never dulled so I hope to always use this passion for entertainment, and change.