Style

How to Look Amazing and Impress Your Family This Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Dressing up and looking good for family photos are always fun for Thanksgiving. We tend to try our hardest to impress the family that we never get to see, especially for the holidays. With this tendency to try and impress, there is a ton of pressure and stress that comes with it. The key to looking amazing on Thanksgiving is to find a happy medium between pretty and comfortable. 

Here are a few outfits that are in that “happy medium” for Thanksgiving:

1. Plaid or flannel

For the more casual family gatherings on Thanksgiving, plaid or flannel is a really comfy, warm and stylish look for this holiday. A good outfit to make the flannel pop out, is to place the patterned shirt over a sweater, and possibly paper bag waist pants and a belt on the bottom.

2. Adding a blazer

One of my personal favorite outfits to wear frequently, a blazer with leggings, with the addition of a sweater and boots. It is a very warm and comfortable way to look good on Thanksgiving. 

3. Heels or Heeled Boots

If the occasion of your family gathering is a little more elevated, there is one outfit you can never go wrong with. This outfit is a turtle neck, cigarette pants, heels or heeled boots, with a long overcoat

4. Jumpsuit

Sometimes when we really want to impress our  family, we want to get extremely dressed up. Almost every cousin of mine likes to do a jewel-toned jumpsuit, with some bling, and a chunky pair of heels. 

Ivy Bourke

St. John's '23

St John’s Student who is studying Sports Management with a minor in journalism. I plan to change the sports world for the better and have women be represented in all aspects of the world.
Chanelle Norman

St. John's '20

Chanelle is a graduate of St. John's University '20 and former Editor-in-Chief for the chapter. When she's not sleeping for ungodly hours at a time she spends her time reading, writing and watching movies. She's pursuing her dreams of working in the book industry.