felix luo ucRO rs4y9I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
felix luo ucRO rs4y9I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Decor

How to Design a Dorm that’s Cute and Functional

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

It’s not a secret that dorm life is a challenge. I was struck with anxiety to find out that this year, my dorm room would be what the university calls a “junior double.”  The problem was, with limited room available, how do you make the space feel like your own? 

After much thought during the summer, a plan was devised to (hopefully) maximize both style and space in the dorm. Here are the tips that I came up with.

1. Find a color scheme and stick to it.

There’s a reason why this tip is first on the list. Picking out some key colors is the key to making your room look coordinated. If your bedspread clashes with your wall decor which clashes with your storage solutions, the room is going to feel like a hot mess. Not to mention, with set colors in mind, the sometimes overwhelming task of buying dorm supplies is much easier.

2. Design your bed first.

In almost every dorm room, the bed takes up the majority of the space. So, take some time making it look cute. Find your comforter first; it’ll set the tone of the room. It might be beneficial to pick out a comforter that’s mostly neutral, then add fun pops of color with some throw pillows. If you’re someone who likes to sit and chill out on your bed, consider adding a husband pillow to your spread.

3. Stick on wallpaper is a total game-changer.

Stick on wallpaper was the one thing that I was really adamant about getting for my room this year, and I am so impressed at how it transforms the space. The wallpaper goes up and peels off easily, so you don’t need to worry about losing your security deposit! Of course, using a tapestry would create a similar effect, but unlike tapestries, you can add extra personal touches by sticking up photos or other mementos on top of the wallpaper.

4. Plan out your photo arrangement.

Almost everyone has photographs they want to display, and for good reason! Photos of family and friends can help ease homesickness and remind you of good memories when school gets tough. But it’s easy for an unplanned photo collage to look like something you would have on your wall in middle school. Take those few extra minutes to decide what you want your gallery wall to be like. Abstract or shaped? Asymmetric or square? Uniform or different sized photos? That extra planning time will pay off with a gorgeous, professional-looking photo arrangement.

5. Creative storage.

In order to fit everything in your dorm, without it looking cluttered, you have to get creative. Don’t try to smash everything you own into the sets of drawers the university provides. Storage pockets that slip over the side of your bed or the back of your chair can prove invaluable. Also, don’t be afraid of unconventional storage opportunities. Craft carts at Michael’s are great for loading on coffee, tea, and dorm room snacks. Last, but certainly not least, do not underestimate under-the-bed storage. You can tuck almost all of your belongings away underneath a lofted bed.

Remember that your dorm room should be your sanctuary at school. Your dorm doesn’t have to look like a page out of a Pottery Barn catalog, it just has to look like you. Stay true to your personal aesthetics and making the space feel like home isn’t out of reach!

Chiara Huber

St. John's '24

Chiara is a second year pharmacy student at St. John's, but is originally from Wyomissing, Pennsylvania. She is a big fan of iced coffee, her dog, and baking competition shows. This is her first year writing for Her Campus.
Chanelle Norman

St. John's '20

Chanelle is a graduate of St. John's University '20 and former Editor-in-Chief for the chapter. When she's not sleeping for ungodly hours at a time she spends her time reading, writing and watching movies. She's pursuing her dreams of working in the book industry.