harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

How to Cope with Seasonal Depression

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Seasonal depression is something that many adults, especially college students, cannot run away from. Usually occurring in the fall and winter months, specifically December and January, seasonal depression happens with a change in weather, or personal life reasons. 

Signs and symptoms of seasonal depression in the fall and winter months are: becoming depressed, losing interest in everyday things, oversleeping, appetite changes, weight gain or loss, and tiredness.

Since seasonal depression is common and treatable, here are some of the ways in which you can help yourself these upcoming months:

1. Aromatherapy 

Aromatherapy can help with seasonal depression as certain scents can influence parts of the brain. Some good herbal matches for getting over seasonal depression are: basil, lemon, bergamot, grapefruit, rose, lavender, jasmine, frankincense, chamomile, and many others. A cheap way for St. John’s students to do this and abide by our dorm regulations is by using the Bath and Body Works’ Aromatherapy lotions. These lotions help with calming down the mind, relaxing the muscles, and having you smell great all throughout the day. 

2. Work Out

Working out and have a routine that you do every day is known to snap you out of seasonal depression in a life-changing way. Exercise is known to alleviate depression and help you feel more whole and balanced. Whether exercising outdoors, or indoors, having a routine will help you break through the sadness.

3. Have a Routine

Since a common side effect of seasonal depression is lack of sleep, maintaining a routine will help balance out your life, and make you less tired during the day. While in college, having class every day or a majority of the week will help you escape the seasonal depression. Fill your schedule with clubs and activities as well to keep you busy during the day so you sleep better at night.

4. Keep a Journal

When the human mind gets overwhelmed, it tends to need some type of break. Keeping a journal will help you understand how you are feeling, and allow you to relieve yourself of any negative energy or feelings you may have as soon as possible. 

5. Being Proactive

Life sure has its ups and downs but we all must realize that we are not alone. Filling your calendar and keeping yourself busy with tasks will only do so much in the end. Instead, it’s best to fill your day up with friends and family. Having a sleepover or Going to a concert with them even when you don’t feel like it can help you with your fall and winter blues. Just by being around the people you love and care about can make you feel less alone.

Seasonal depression is a hard monster to fight, but it is something we can all get through with simple steps, changes in routine, and having something to look forward to every day.

Ivy Bourke

St. John's '23

St John’s Student who is studying Sports Management with a minor in journalism. I plan to change the sports world for the better and have women be represented in all aspects of the world.
Chanelle Norman

St. John's '20

Chanelle is a graduate of St. John's University '20 and former Editor-in-Chief for the chapter. When she's not sleeping for ungodly hours at a time she spends her time reading, writing and watching movies. She's pursuing her dreams of working in the book industry.