This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

As finals week creeps up on us, students are feeling stressed and deserve to take a break. The weekends are a great time to have fun and relax from all the studying,  especially when it comes to exploring New York City. There are so many activities to do in one of the biggest cities in the world, but here are just a few of my favorites for the winter.

Bryant Park Winter Village

The Bryant Park Winter Village is a personal favorite. There is a beautifully decorated tree, ice skating, and many little shops full of holiday cheer. I prefer Bryant Park over Rockefeller Center because it is not as crowded and I find there is more to do, as the tree is not the only attraction.

Museums

Being in New York City, there are so many museums across the boroughs, which is a great activity if you want to stay indoors. As an art history major, I love art museums. Some of my favorites are the MoMA, the Whitney, the Guggenheim and so many more. Museums are also a great option because most sell discounted student tickets, making it a cheap and fun option.

Broadway Shows

If you’re into the performing arts, Broadway shows are a great indoor option. As tickets can be expensive for some shows, ticket raffles and same-day ticketing apps are great options to save money. Some current shows that I recommend are The Phantom of the Opera, Almost Famous and Moulin Rouge. There are even off-Broadway performance spaces, which also showcase some great talent. 

Sporting Events

Being in NYC, there are so many teams and sports that play in the winter. Hockey and basketball are definitely the most popular, with teams like the Rangers, Nets, Knicks, and arenas like Madison Square Garden and the Barclays Center. Depending on the game, tickets can be affordable.

Small Shops

Supporting small shops is always great and you can easily make a day out of it. This could include thrifting, going to local bookstores and visiting coffee shops. My personal favorites are Steinway Thrift in Astoria, Housing Works Bookstore in SoHo, and honestly I have never been to a bad coffee shop in NYC. 

I hope this list of winter activities inspires you to go out and explore NYC and is helpful in de-stressing you for this upcoming finals season!

Gianna Plavier

St. John's '26

Hi! My name is Gianna Plavier and I am a freshman at St. John's University. I am from Oakland, New Jersey and I am an Art History major. I am super excited about writing for Her Campus and also working on all the committees to get involved wherever I can!