This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Meet one of  this week’s Campus Celebrity, Frank Obermeyer our Sophomore senator!!! Frank is an out-going, ambitious, approachable, music aficionado. This week he was willing to share with us more about his role and Student Government.  

Name: Frank Obermeyer

Age: 19

Major/Minor: Mathematical Physics / Business

Year in School: Sophomore

Expected Graduation Date: 2019

Hometown: Dayton, Ohio

Tell me about Student Government. What is its mission?

“Our mission is to improve student life and the University as a whole, and I think that should be the mission for each year. It’s broad but every year it is up to us to make it better and different. This year we are focused on building the integrity of SGI and make it really strong so that in the coming years people want to get involved in SGI and there is a place for everyone to do so.  We want to make sure that people who are in SGI know what they are doing, and always have a goal. We are trying to build a strong foundation.”

How did you get involved with SGI?

“ My first year at St. John’s I realized I was a very approachable person, that was an asset that I thought would be useful to run for student government.”

What is your job and goal as Sophomore Senator in SGI?

“ I am the official representative of the undergraduate sophomore class seeking to resolve problems and concerns both academic and curricular. I don’t think it’s just that. I along with all the e-board, strive to go beyond the bare minimum requirements to make student government better. My goal is currently to try and reach out to everyone and let them know I am their sophomore representative.”

What do you enjoy most about SGI?

“I am able to attend events, where usually someone who is not part of SGI would not have known about them. I also enjoy the events because it allows me to meet new people”

What have you learned/gained from being a part of this organization?

“I have gained a lot of friends, and mentors. I have learned a lot about the school, and how many departments we actually have. There is so much more going on that nobody knows.”

Are you involved with anything else on campus?

“I play at Java Johnnies. My suitemates and I we play music nonstop. We usually play at the highline , so if you ever see a couple of homeless looking kids playing , its probably us!”

What plans do you have after you graduate?

“I do not want to move back to Ohio. Hopefully I will have a job, I want to do something related to finance or be a physics teacher.”

If anyone ever runs into Frank make sure to thank him for his dedication to SGI and working towards making St.John’s better.

Keep rocking Frank!

My name is Nereida, but most people call me "Nere". I am from California, but I was born and raised in Mexico. I am a Legal Studies major at St.John's.  I have the ability to quote any movie I've watched. Most of my time and money is spent on books or music. I'm a huge music junkie and a health enthusiast!! (Go fruit!!). I also happen to secretly hate bios... they are too conventional.
Contributor Account