international student?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
international student?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Zen Chung Via Unsplash
Style > Fashion

Five Closet Must-Haves for this Fall and Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Now that summer is officially over, it is the perfect time to start transitioning into your fall and winter wardrobe for this season. Arguably considered the best seasons for fashion, fall and winter are the most ideal times for adding new and fun pieces to your wardrobe, as well as purchasing must-have staple pieces that tie together any outfit. 

A Trusted Pair Of Denim Jeans 

No closet is complete without a trusted pair of denim jeans. If you like your jeans straight-style or baggy, a blue wash denim will never go out of style. Whether you buy a new pair of Levi’s or a vintage pair from a thrift store, jeans are one of the most versatile items of clothing. Style them with a sweater and boots or dress them up with heels and a blouse. Everyone should invest in at least one good pair of denim jeans!

The Classic Cable-Knit Sweater

Inspired by the show that fits the fall aesthetic most, an oversized sweater resembling one in “Gilmore Girls” has become very popular this season. Available on most retail websites (including Amazon), the classic cable knit has become a fall and winter staple. It is a cute and affordable choice that will do a great job of keeping you warm this season. 

A Go-To Sneaker

If you don’t already have a pair of “go-to” sneakers, then this should be your first purchase when updating your wardrobe this season. Whether it’s a sporty sneaker like the popular Adidas Sambas or a chic sneaker like the Steve Madden Catchers, a good pair of sneakers will take you far when coming up with new outfits.

A Shearling Jacket

If you don’t know what a shearling jacket is, it’s time to wake up, people! Jacket season is in full swing and as the months get colder, your jacket will cover those cute clothes that you’ll be wearing underneath. It’s imperative to have a few chic jacket options so you can stay stylish and warm at the same time. Stores like Zara and Abercrombie & Fitch have some amazing options if you’re searching!

The Long-Sleeved Layer

This is probably the easiest piece of clothing to obtain on this list. As the seasons change and the weather gets significantly colder, wearing layered clothing will be your best friend. Investing in a plain black or white long-sleeved t-shirt to wear underneath sweaters or even a short-sleeved tee will make picking an outfit this season much simpler. You can get a long-sleeved t-shirt from essentially any retail store, but I would recommend Aritzia. If you’re looking for an inexpensive option you can always trust H&M.

Having versatile pieces of clothing in your wardrobe is so important for any time of year. Finding these items is easier than you think, so don’t forget to update that wardrobe so you can stay warm and stylish this fall and winter season!

Sasha is journalism major at St. Johns. She's born and raised in Pennsylvania but always dreamed of living in a big city. She loves all things fashion, books, tv/movies, and food.