This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

The goal of feminism is to fight against the systemic inequalities women face every day. Though many believe that the meaning of feminism is to bring men down, so that women can be superior, it is the complete opposite of what feminists stand for. It’s not about eschewing femininity, it’s about fighting for the equality of all people. Feminism is intersectional; it does not exclude people based on their gender, race, socioeconomic status, ability, or sexual orientation. This includes transgender people as well. The word transgender, also known as trans, is often used to refer to people who “do not conform to prevailing expectations about gender.” They do that by presenting themselves as a different gender than the one that they were assigned at birth. The trans community also often has to face discrimination and injustice for their gender expression, that not many people might agree with. However, they are not left alone in this unjust battle, as the feminists tend to view the struggle for trans rights as an integral part of feminism and help them reach the equality goal they have in common.

Gender discrimination occurs when individuals are denied access to education and employment based on their gender or gender expression. Though the population of the trans community has increased over the years, it still faces severe discrimination. One of the biggest struggles they face is the lack of legal protection, which doesn’t allow them to express their gender identity without being harassed. Even though the U.S. Supreme Court Decisihas given transgender individuals legal protection from discrimination in the workplace, there isn’t a comprehensive federal non-discrimination law that includes gender identity. This prevents transgender individuals from getting any protection against discrimination when they look for housing or trying to eat at a restaurant. This is an on-going issue that can only be changed when gender justice occurs. Gender justice gives the possibility that all basic life values, such as freedom of expression, can be endorsed by anyone.

The argument about trans-inclusion in the feminist community is often doubted as if trans-inclusion can be damaging to women’s empowerment. A journalist from London, Amelia Abraham, whose main interest in the LGBTQ + community, has held a TedTalk in which she discusses how transgender individuals are considered part of feminism. Abraham spoke about how she would hear stories of discrimination and the societal prejudice transgender individuals have to face every day, and she also mentioned how many of them struggled to reconcile their feminism with transgender rights. However, the goal of the trans-community is to achieve freedom of gender, which is an expression that supports women’s empowerment as well because it gives women the freedom to enact their gender as they wish. Both women’s empowerment and freedom of gender expression can be included in the feminist project of creating gender equality.

The feminist and trans community both aim for great changes in society, that can make people feel included and secure no matter their gender or their gender expression. Communities that share similar goals like these should never be put against each other, but rather be united. This can help them support each other, and make their path to achieve their target much easier.

Hi! I’m Benedetta Tommaselli, I was born in Rome, Italy and live there for most of my life until the age of 12, when my my family and I had to move to the United States. Writing has always been a huge part of my life, it was a good way for me to express my thoughts and feelings about the world around me. As a journalism major, I’m determined to use my passion for writing but also being able to develop it so I can be better at it. Email: benedetta.tommaselli19@my.stjohns.edu
Ivy Bourke

St. John's '23

Campus Correspondent for St. John's. I am a Sports Management major with a concentration in Business Administration, and a minor in Journalism. My passion for writing has never dulled so I hope to always use this passion for entertainment, and change.