This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Television’s biggest night has arrived. Tomorrow, the 71st Primetime Emmy Awards will air on Fox at 8/7c. It’s shaping up to be an exciting one – while very popular shows such as “Veep” and “Game of Thrones” are bidding farewell, many new and eager ones are hoping to receive their first wins. So who will come out on top in the race for the gold? Here are our predictions:  

Outstanding Comedy Series

Barry

Fleabag

The Good Place

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Russian Doll

Schitt’s Creek

Veep 

The TV academy often times feels obligated to award the shows who are wrapping up their run, and the highly favored “Veep” is expected to take home their fourth and final win in the category.

Outstanding Drama Series

Better Call Saul

Bodyguard

Game of Thrones 

Killing Eve

Ozark

Pose

Succession

This Is Us

Though this is a stacked category with a mixed bag of solid newcomers and veterans, GoT is all but certain to take home the night’s biggest award. Despite the mixed reviews from its final season earlier this year, the record-setting show that captivated pop culture for years would be hard for the academy to pass on.

Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie

Mahershala Ali, True Detective 

Benicio Del Toro, Escape at Dannemora

Hugh Grant, A Very English Scandal

Jared Harris, Chernobyl

Jharrel Jerome, When They See Us

Sam Rockwell, Fosse/Verdon

The newly awards’ season-favorite is set to win his first Emmy after a powerful turn in True Detective. While season 3 received a warm reception, Rotten Tomatoes’s consensus states that the season is “driven by Mahershala Ali’s mesmerizing performance”. However, this is a tight race, so I wouldn’t count out Jared Harris or Jharrel Jerome, since the academy may feel compelled to award the latter to make a statement on a very timely social issue.

Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie

Amy Adams, Sharp Objects

Patricia Arquette, Escape at Dannemora 

Aunjanue Ellis, When They See Us

Joey King, The Act

Niecy Nash, When They See Us

Michelle Williams, Fosse/Verdon

Perhaps one of the toughest categories to call, Patricia Arquette remains as a general favorite to win – especially given her resume of SAG, Critic’s Choice, and Golden Globe wins for the same role. However, Michelle Williams may upset with her incredible transformation into Broadway legend Gwen Verdon in “Fosse/Verdon”.

Lead Actor in a Comedy Series

Anthony Anderson, Black-ish

Don Cheadle, Black Monday

Ted Danson, The Good Place

Michael Douglas, The Kominsky Method

Bill Hader, Barry 

Eugene Levy, Schitt’s Creek

Bill Hader’s highly acclaimed dark comedy received critical praise which translated into Emmy wins at last year’s ceremony. After another strong season, Hader is set to receive his second consecutive win in the category (Unless the Academy wants to recognize Ted Danson, who has yet to receive an Emmy win after 26 years of on and off nominations).

Lead Actress in a Comedy Series

Christina Applegate, Dead to Me

Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep 

Natasha Lyonne, Russian Doll

Catherine O’Hara, Schitt’s Creek

Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Fleabag

The public and industry alike love JLD. They love “Veep” too. What more is there to say?

Lead Actor in a Drama Series

Jason Bateman, Ozark

Sterling K. Brown, This Is Us

Kit Harington, Game of Thrones

Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul

Billy Porter, Pose

Milo Ventimiglia, This Is Us

Though “Pose” is the little guy next to giants like “Game of Thrones” and “This Is Us”, Billy Porter’s performance is hard to ignore. He steals the scene on and off our screens, and it looks like the stars will align for him to take home his and “Pose”’s first Emmy win.

Lead Actress in a Drama Series

Emilia Clarke, Game of Thrones

Jodie Comer, Killing Eve

Viola Davis, How to Get Away with Murder

Laura Linney, Ozark

Mandy Moore, This Is Us

Sandra Oh, Killing Eve

Robin Wright, House of Cards

This may be a tossup between the two stars of BBC America’s “Killing Eve”. With a season 2 outing as strong as their first, the show’s awards momentum is likely to be kept with a win for either Comer or Oh.

Outstanding Variety Talk Series

The Daily Show Full Frontal

Jimmy Kimmel Live!

Last Week Tonight With John Oliver

The Late Late Show With James Corden

The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Given the current state of America, voters will likely gravitate towards the sharp and witty political humor of John Oliver. Never mind the fact that he has also won the category for the last three years!

Outstanding Variety Sketch Series

At Home With Amy Sedaris

Documentary Now!

Drunk History

I Love You, America With Sarah Silverman

Saturday Night Live 

Who Is America?

Voters seem to play it safe and go with “SNL” more often than not, regardless of how strong or not their season has been. Unless they decide to go the non-traditional route (which isn’t characteristic of them), the NBC sketch comedy will take home another Emmy to add to their list.

Outstanding Limited Series

Chernobyl

Escape at Dannemora

Fosse/Verdon

Sharp Objects

When They See Us

The lead-up to this year’s Emmy limited series category has been over a year in the making, with front runners varying as the seasons changed. Despite shows like “Escape at Dannemora” and “Sharp Objects” racking up wins at other ceremonies, the latest entry “When They See Us” seems like an obvious choice. The heartbreaking true story was packed with knockout performances and received resounding acclaim from viewers, critics, and celebrities alike. Its place in the conversation of racism in the criminal justice system is nearly impossible for the academy to ignore.

Outstanding Television Movie

Bandersnatch 

Brexit

Deadwood

King Lear

My Dinner with Hervé

Black Mirror has received awards love with their previous seasons and came back at the end of 2018 with the experimental and fun “Bandersnatch”. It seems like another safe and easy choice for the TV academy to make.

Kayla White

Hamilton '21

A recent Hamilton grad from Jersey! Write on.
Chanelle Norman

St. John's '20

Chanelle is a graduate of St. John's University '20 and former Editor-in-Chief for the chapter. When she's not sleeping for ungodly hours at a time she spends her time reading, writing and watching movies. She's pursuing her dreams of working in the book industry.