This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

As college students, we know our list of reasons for why we don’t eat healthy. 

“The walk to the dining hall is too long.”

“There’s a line for the salad bar.” 

“I have to study, so it’s just quicker to get fast food.”

“I’m done studying, so I should reward myself.”

Of course there’s nothing wrong with having a snack every now and then. College is hard, and you probably do deserve that chocolate bar after acing your math test. However, it’s only the start of a never-ending cycle of eating junk food that is not good for your body or mind. 

Eating healthy in college doesn’t have to be difficult or expensive as long as you follow these tips. 

Explore the Dining Hall

While it may be convenient to make a beeline for the chicken fingers and french fries in front of you in the dining hall, it won’t hurt to add something new to your plate. For most students, meals are already paid for in tuition, so trying out some new food won’t hurt your wallet. The worst that will happen is that you don’t like the new dish, and there’s nothing wrong with that because at least you tried. 

Don’t Buy “On-the-go” Products

It is very convenient to purchase fruit cups or pretzels and hummus, but the price difference between these products and bulk products is drastic. If your favorite breakfast is pineapple slices, it is far cheaper to buy a pineapple and cut it up than buy small cups of it simply because of its convenience. Purchasing plastic containers can help you pack up food and basically DIY your own on-the-go meals. 

Buy the Ingredients Rather than the Meal

While that microwavable chicken rice bowl looks absolutely delicious, in the long run, it is far cheaper to buy the ingredients to cook up this meal for yourself. Having a cabinet of canned foods like fruits, vegetables and beans will last you much longer than a microwavable meal will. It is also much healthier when you are cooking the meal yourself because you have control over what’s going inside of it. 

Take Advantage of Coupons or Coupon Apps

Couponing is not just an activity for mothers, it is a money saver for college students on a budget. If you’re more of a tech-oriented person, many couponing or discount apps like Honey, Coupert, or Ibotta can help find good deals. Then, if you want to splurge on a more expensive healthy or organic product, the cost won’t be too much. 

Make it a Team Effort

Making “dorm-cooked” meals can be a fun activity for you and your roommates and it may even open up your eyes to new healthy foods. You can plan, budget, and cook meals as a group, turning cooking into a bonding activity. 

Eating healthy in college is not as impossible as many students make it out to be. By following some simple tips, any student can go from a ramen-only diet to becoming the new health nut of their class.

Grace Notarstefano

St. John's '26

Grace is currently a freshman at St. John’s University in Queens NY. She is double majoring in History and Italian, with hopes to someday become a professor and enter the world of research. She can be found painting and sculpting, reading, trying new recipes, or writing up a post for her blog on the literature of the world.