Does Love Is Blind Prove That Love Actually Is Blind?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Love Is Blind is back baby, but unfortunately, I don’t think it’s better than ever. Personally, as a lover of love, I was so excited to see that Love Is Blind was on its way back with a new cast. The show seemed to listen to audience feedback, including more diversity in almost every area possible. I was most pleased to see the inclusion of more body types aside from the dating show standard of blonde and no larger than a size 4. However, I was immediately disappointed to see that the couples with the most attention were what society deems “conventially attractive” and our plus-size beauties kind of fell to the background. 

Knowing how much I loved the first season, I tried to push through and the more I watched, the more frustrated I became. One man known as “Shake” continuously asked questions to women in an attempt to figure out what their physical shape was, which literally defeats the whole purpose. After watching the mini-montage of him asking offensive questions, one would think that producers would avoid focusing on him… wrong. 

Moving on from that disaster comes another couple, Shaina and Kyle, who knew they disagreed on everything under the sun, still got engaged, and then broke up after what seems like less than a week later. I can’t even attempt to rationalize that one, especially because the woman in this relationship repeatedly mentioned feelings for another man; not off to a strong start it seems. 

Then there’s Danielle and Nick, the first couple to get engaged this season. The two of them are a unique pairing. Nick seems to be a little overbearing and accusatory at times while Danielle comes off as needing more assurance and trust than Nick is willing to provide. Despite this, the two seem to have certainly fallen in love with each other and I’m actually excited to see what happens with them.

Last up in my must-mentions of this season comes Shayne and Natalie. They’re certainly an interesting couple and despite their oddities, they’ve wormed their way into my heart as my favorite couple. My personal top moment between them was when Natalie mentioned planning their financial future and 401k’s and then Shayne wonderfully stated that he doesnt believe in 401k’s. How nice for him! 

Now, since the season finale came out the day I finished writing this, I won’t include spoilers, but I will say this. Season 2 of Love Is Blind has been nothing short of an entertaining rollercoaster, however, for me, it didn’t top Season 1 (but I’m not sure if anything ever will). So did Love Is Blind prove that love actually is blind? I think that’s something you’ll have to decide for yourselves, but you’ll certainly be amused in figuring it out.

Grace Kelly

St. John's '25

Grace is in her second year at St. John's University majoring in Adolescent Education with a concentration in English. She enjoys reading, writing, exploring the city, and watching rom-coms in her free time.