Diana Poulin, 2014 BIG EAST Goalkeeper of the year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Currently St John’s women’s soccer is doing very well in the BIG EAST, ranking in at #3. This past Sunday the Red Storm took on fellow BIG EAST school Creighton and ended with a final score of 4-0. Anchoring the back line, Diana Poulin, who is our starting goalie, who’s starting since her freshmen year at St. John’s. She was named BIG EAST goalkeeper of the year in 2014, the first in St. John’s history to earn the honor. Follow @StJohnsWSoccer on twitter to stay updated with the team!

Diana Poulin #0 Goalkeeper  

Year: Junior

Major: Finance

Relationship status: Single

Favorite cereal: Captain Crunch berries

Favorite color: Blue

Favorite TV show: Suits

Favorite Social media: Twitter

Celebrity Crush: Ashlyn Harris

Favorite sports team: NY Islanders

Favorite Soccer player: Gigi Buffon

Favorite things to do besides soccer: Travel, listen to music, hang out with friends

Have you always been a goalie?

No, I was a field player up until freshman year of high school; I decided to become a goalie because of my brother. He was a goalie and my parents never let me so I gave them an ultimatum, either I get to be goalie or I would quit soccer.

What is the biggest challenge of being a goalie?

Probably that making a mistake can sometimes lead to a goal. I don’t have the luxury of being able to make mistakes because there is always a chance of a goal, some players don’t have to worry about that but being a goalie, my number one focus is to make sure that doesn’t happen. I think that’s the hardest part.

What is your favorite part about your position?

Being able to jump and dive around, I like it, it’s fun, especially when I have to jump into a massive group of people and punch the ball.

What do you do before every game?

I drink a Red Bull before every game; it helps me mentally focus, I get really nervous so in our locker room I just dance like an idiot for like a half hour before the game. 

Do you have a go to song you listen to before a game?

Yes, it’s “Revolution” by Diplo

How do you manage being a student and an athlete?

Time management, I know it’s what everybody says but it is. I like soccer and I wish I could just play soccer every day but at the end of the day I can’t play soccer if I don’t do well in school.

Why did you Choose St. John’s to play soccer?

Because Ian stone. He is my favorite man in the world; I love him as a coach. I heard about him being amazing, I wanted to have a good coach because I knew if I had a coach that I liked and wanted to help me reach my potential, I knew that’s where I would do the best. And that’s exactly what he is; he wants everyone to be the best they can. He’s so selfless, he puts everything into the team, it’s amazing and I think that’s why we do so well.

What’s your favorite soccer memory?

Freshmen year at the NCAA tournament against UCF in the first round we beat them, and that was crazy, we weren’t ranked anywhere near them and we just played our hardest and we won, it was a good game, a great memory for sure.

What are your plans after college?

Hopefully to play professionally for a couple years, whether that be here or in another country, another country would be amazing because I’d get to travel. Then maybe grad school, but I don’t really know just yet, I want to see what happens. 

They face off DePaul this Sunday, October 18th in Chicago, you can watch it live on Fox Sports at 2pm. The women’s soccer teams next and last home game for this season is this Thursday, October 22nd, against Xavier at Belson. Be sure to stop by and support the women’s soccer team and say goodbye to our seniors. 

Nadia LoPane

St. John's

Nadia LoPane is currently a sophmore at St. John's University majoring in television and film production, she's an extreme sports enthusiast with a love for surfing, snowboarding, longboarding and soccer. 
Contributor Account