The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Picture this: you’re cruising down the highway of academia and your hair is tousled by the breeze… well, metaphorically, at least. Suddenly, you hit a speed bump the size of Mount Everest and before you know it, your academic journey takes a detour toward a familiar foe — burnout. With the grace of a driver attempting their first parallel park, there are helpful strategies you can employ to embark on this wild ride.

Recognize the Signs

Before delving into strategies for overcoming burnout, it’s essential to understand its symptoms. Burnout can manifest in various ways, including: 

1. Physical Exhaustion: Feeling constantly tired or run down, even after adequate rest.

2. Emotional Drain: Experiencing heightened levels of stress, anxiety or irritability.

3. Decreased Motivation: Finding it difficult to muster the energy or enthusiasm to complete tasks.

4. Isolation: Withdrawing from social activities or feeling disconnected from others.

By recognizing these signs early on, you can take proactive steps to address them before they escalate.

Prioritize Self-Care

One of the most effective ways to combat burnout is by prioritizing self-care. This involves taking intentional steps to nurture your physical, emotional and mental well-being. 

Here are some self-care practices to incorporate into your routine:

1. Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle: Eat nutritious foods, prioritize exercise and ensure an adequate amount of sleep each night.

2. Take Breaks: Incorporate short breaks into your study sessions to rest and recharge your mind.

3. Engage in Relaxation Techniques: Practice mindfulness, meditation or deep breathing exercises to reduce stress.

4. Set Boundaries: Learn to say no to additional commitments or responsibilities that may exacerbate burnout.

Additionally, carve out time for activities that bring you joy, whether it’s reading a book, practicing mindfulness or spending time with loved ones.

Manage Time Effectively

Effective time management is crucial, especially during the hectic final week(s) of the semester. Consider the following strategies:

1. Create a Schedule: Use a planner or calendar app to map out your obligations, including classes, assignments and extracurricular activities.

2. Break Tasks into Manageable Chunks: Divide larger assignments into smaller, more achievable tasks to prevent feeling overwhelmed.

3. Limit Distractions: Minimize distractions such as social media during study sessions to maximize productivity.

5. Reward Yourself: Celebrate small victories and milestones along the way to stay motivated and maintain a positive outlook.

Seek Support

Whether talking to a trusted friend, family member or mental health professional, expressing your feelings and seeking guidance can provide invaluable relief. This may include:

1. Academic Resources: Take advantage of academic support services. This means tutoring, writing centers or academic advising that can help you manage your coursework.

2. Counseling Services: Many colleges offer counseling services where you can speak with a trained professional about your mental health concerns.

3. Peer Support: Connect with fellow students who may be experiencing similar challenges and provide mutual words of encouragement.

4. Faculty and Staff: Don’t hesitate to reach out to professors, advisors or other staff members for guidance and support.

With self-care as your trusty GPS, time management as your fuel and support as your roadside assistance, you can navigate through any academic detour. The semester’s ride will come to a screeching halt and it’ll be time to buckle up for the next wild journey. Good luck!

Kiara Mapp

St. John's '25

Kiara Mapp, a native of Queens, New York, is a dynamic 22-year-old with a passion for literature and writing. With a relentless pursuit of academic excellence and a fervent love for the written word, Kiara continues her studies as a Master of Arts student at St. John's University, majoring in English. As she withholds a distinctive voice and a knack for storytelling, Kiara offers a fresh perspective on issues relevant to the university experience, capturing the attention and admiration of her peers.