This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

We’ve all had those moments where you stare into your full closet and whine that you have nothing to wear; my purpose now is to help you build the basics of a wardrobe in hopes of avoiding those moments. Just be warned, no matter how many clothes you own, those moments will always exist.

1. Jeans

I know, I know, not everyone is a huge fan of jeans and people complain that they are uncomfortable, but hear me out. Jeans, when bought from the right place, can actually be comfortable. They can be dressed up or down. They can be baggy or skinny. They can be any color. They can be ripped or solid. Essentially, I can guarantee you that you can find a pair of jeans you love.

1. Leggings

I know that I literally just told you all to get jeans, but leggings are also essential. Not everyone has the energy to put on jeans before their 9 a.m classes and this is when leggings are required. Leggings can also be dressed up or down and paired with almost any top. 

1. Classic Tees

When it comes to tops, try to aim for pieces that can be reworn and matched with multiple outfits. Me? I own the same cropped tee shirt in four colors. A “classic tee” can be any cut, pattern, style, or design you want, but it’s comfort that makes it essential. 

1. Jacket or Sweater 

Personally, I am a huge cardigan fan, so my closet is stocked full of them. Regardless, a good light jacket or cardigan is definitely needed. It allows for layering when needed and can be used in almost any weather or location. 

1. Sweatshirt 

Something else I am a huge fan of: sweatshirts. Sweatshirts are like wearable hugs and a necessary part of every person’s closet. Sweatshirts are a great item to bring around as a layer that you can throw on or take off quickly as the weather changes around you. Sweatshirts can also be found in a variety of styles and don’t always have to look super comfortable and casual to be classified as one. 

1. Sneakers

No matter where you live, I can almost guarantee that you will be doing a fair share of walking each day. My personal choice of footwear is High Top Converse. I’m not kidding when I say I dont think I’ve worn anything else on my feet for the past few months. My only suggestion in picking your staple sneakers is to choose something comfortable and versatile. Pick sneakers that fit your style and can be worn with almost anything; this will make putting together an outfit much easier.

1. “Going Out” Top

According to my sister this is a requirement for every girl. Whether cropped, low cut, long sleeved, or even a bodysuit, the black “going out” top should be reliable and comfortable. It might seem basic, but believe me, it’s necessary.

My biggest tip in picking your wardrobe is sticking to the basics. Yeah it’s nice to have a few statement pieces, but with the limited storage dorm rooms provide, I’d say keep it simple. This will also help in making your life easier when putting together an outfit because everything will match.

Grace Kelly

St. John's '25

Grace is in her second year at St. John's University majoring in Adolescent Education with a concentration in English. She enjoys reading, writing, exploring the city, and watching rom-coms in her free time.