Chappell Players: More Than Just A Play

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

The Chappell Players is the theatre organization at St. John’s University. The Chappell Players perform amazing productions every year at St. John’s University, some of which are student-directed and written. However, like many organizations due to COVID-19 things look a little different this year. This year, the Chappell Players held a virtual production of “CabaCircus” and raised money for the organization, Bread and Life. We caught up with the two directors, Elisa Bono and Madeline Bonsignore, (virtually of course), to get their take on the event and how important it is to give back.

HC: What do you think makes this play unique and special? 

Elisa Bono: “Besides the fun circus theme, it’s a completely virtual production! Not one rehearsal was in person. We were able to keep theater alive and well on campus. For many people theater and performing is an outlet. 2020 has not been an easy year for anyone, we are so glad that we were still able to provide a creative outlet to these students, completely virtually.”

Madeline Bonsignore: “What makes ‘CabaCircus’ so unique and special is everyone who was involved in it. There has never, in the history of Chappell Players and Alpha Psi Omega, been a virtual cabaret. When Elisa and I first wrote the show, it was intended to be on stage, but obviously, due to our current environment, we were unable to do so. We worked countless nights to adapt this full stage production to a virtual platform. It took a lot of all-nighters and cups of coffee. We completed the adaptation but still didn’t know how the show would be received by our production team and our performers. We were honestly really scared. Our entire team is what made this show so special and so unique. Everyone worked so hard to make this a fantastic production. Together, we made St. John’s history. We wouldn’t have been able to create the very first virtual cabaret without all of the extremely impressive hard work from our production team and incredible talent and dedication from our performers. We all set the standard for virtual shows and productions and, from what I’ve seen, the standard is high.”

HC: How has the process of preparing for the play been different and what have you learned throughout the process?

Elisa Bono: “My co-director and I when we first wrote the show, we wrote a full stage production. Because of the pandemic we had to in our minds completely short into a virtual medium. We started thinking of it less as a ‘play’ and as ‘music videos.’ That changed everything. We have definitely learned that every problem has a solution and that our students are incredibly resilient. We took primarily stage performers and asked them to make music videos like Nicki Minaj, like Lady Gaga. It was a high ask, but they exceeded our expectations.”

Madeline Bonsignore: “Going into it, we had prepared as much as possible. We created shot lists and storyboards for every single character in the show. We listed location, costume, makeup, set, time of day to film, movement choices, and a ton of different shots that were required by our performers. We also created all types of progress tracking sheets that would enable us to keep on top of what has been done/what was missing. We did so much preparation. Although I’m very grateful we put hours upon hours into preparing for something we have obviously never done before, we had to learn to think on our feet. Some people couldn’t complete all of the shots, others didn’t have the ability to film in location, a couple didn’t have access to costumes. As we went along, we learned that what we envisioned may have been too ideal. Times are hard for everyone right now. We had to learn to be fully transparent in our communications and conversations on all levels, whether it was with the production team or our performers. We had to learn to compromise without sacrificing our original vision. We had to build trust, we had to build a community, which was especially difficult during our current environment. We weren’t able to meet up for coffee on campus, or bump into someone at the library and talk out difficulties. Elisa and I jumped on many late-night phone calls, even when we were ‘unavailable.’ We hopped on zoom even if we were on ‘work hours.’ We did this to ensure everyone knew how much we appreciated their dedication, support, and talent. I’m definitely leaving this production with a fuller heart and I’ve learned on the most personal level how resilient people are. When things went wrong and we got knocked down, we stood up as a team, we stood up stronger and we are bringing something to bring people joy in a world that is so full of darkness.”

HC: The charity event you are doing is amazing, what gave you the idea and how important do you think it is to give back? 

Elisa Bono: “Written into the St. John’s University NDA, is our Vincentian mission. Meaning we are always ready to give back no matter what. This is actually the 22nd cabaret for charity. Our cause is specifically for St. John’s Bread and Life mobile soup kitchen. They have been working 24/7 even at the peak of the pandemic. The last thing we can do is give back to an amazing cause and having fun while doing it.”

Madeline Bonsignore: “This is actually the 22nd Annual Cabaret for charity. Chappell Players and Alpha Psi Omega come together each year to perform a cabaret written and directed by alumni. All of the profits made from this production will be donated to St. John’s Bread and Life. We are extremely passionate about cabaret. That’s actually how Elisa and I became friends. Being able to bring people together to create something beautiful and help a community in need is so extremely special. It is truly a blessing. In addition to every ticket sale being donated, people are also encouraged to donate while watching the show. I am so incredibly proud to be a part of such an important event.”

Special thanks to the Chappell Players! You can learn more about the Chappell Players on their website and on their Instagram.

Taylor is a Senior English major at St. John's University. After college, she plans on pursuing graduate school and a career in Higher Education Administration.