Catholic Colleges Always Seem To Have A History of Rape and Sexual Assault

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

The Catholic church believes that sex education will lead to an increase in premarital sex, therefore they teach celibacy instead. By avoiding the topic of sex, or discussing it in a negative light many young people who grow up in that environment will be naive to the emotional significance of it. College is a time where young people are encouraged to find themselves and for many, a big part of that is getting into a relationship that could be either physical or emotional. The topic of sexual assault has been something many find uncomfortable to discuss, but it is something that cannot be avoided. Sexual assault on college campuses has been around since the very first universities opened. Catholic colleges are essentially the same as any other school, the biggest difference being that they are not required to separate the church from the state. Thirteen percent of college students will face rape or sexual assault through physical force or incapacitation with the rates for women and TGQN (transgender, queer, gender nonconforming) students being significantly higher than men. These numbers include both religious and non-religious universities.  Title IX is an education amendment that stops schools from discriminating on the basis of sex, this also allows protections for students regarding sexual assault. Every school is required by law to follow this, so when there is a sexual assault allegation they must look into it. Many schools, however, scarcely do anything unless the story gets press. There are 197 catholic colleges in the United States, the most namely Notre Dame, Georgetown, and Villanova have high amounts of sexual assaults on their campuses. Twenty-one percent of women at Notre Dame and four percent of men have reported an on-campus sexual assault. The school is beginning to take efforts to combat sexual assault on campus by creating the Committee on Sexual Assault Prevention. At Georgetown, 25.9% of women and 6.8% of male students reported sexual misconduct on campus. They have taken preventative measures by creating the Sexual Assault and Misconduct Advisory Committee. One report says that at Villanova 15.4% of undergraduate women and 2.7% of undergraduate men have reported sexual misconduct on the campus. They have the Sexual Assault Resouce Coordinator which is available to help those who have been a victim of sexual assault. All of these have been reported cases, this does not show the cases that have not been reported, it also does not mean that all of these cases got fair trials. The Catholic church has the ability to start a conversation on sexual assault, but this can only be done if they teach proper sex education. 

Delaney Rauch

St. John's '24

Delaney Rauch is a freshman communcation arts major here at St. John's. Delaney is originally from Providence, Rhode Island but has started making her home in New York. Delaney loves to go thrifting, walk through musems, find cute coffee houses, and always there to talk about important issues.
Ivy Bourke

St. John's '23

Campus Correspondent for St. John's. I am a Sports Management major with a concentration in Business Administration, and a minor in Journalism. My passion for writing has never dulled so I hope to always use this passion for entertainment, and change.