absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Off Campus Eats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Let’s be honest: dining on campus can get old really quickly. The convenince of meal exchange on the weekdays can be nice; but when you get a little tired of having the same options and have a little extra time and money, why not venture off campus and try something new?  Here are five places in Queens to get food off of campus.

1. Doughnut Plant | Falchi Building, 31-00 47th Avenue, Long Island City, NY

If you’re ever in the mood for a sweet treat, consider going to Doughnut Plant. All doughnuts and fillings are made by hand, and they have a huge range of flavors including: Tres Leches, Strawberry and Cream, Rose, Matcha Green Tea, and many more. 

2. Queens Comfort | 40-09 30 Avenue, Astoria, NY

Looking for something more savory? Queens Comfort in Astoria is a restaurant that prides itself with a warm atmosphere, and food that tastes like home cooking. Their entrees range from Spicy Chicken and Bacon Enchiladas to S’mores Pancakes; and they have a vegetarian menu.

3. Red Pipe Organic Cafe | 71-60 Austin Street, Forest Hills, NY

Red Pipe is a vegetarian and vegan cafe and restaurant in Forest Hills that is known for its latte art, pastries, and organic entrees including Salted Caramel Macaroons and Organic Quinoa Feta Salad. On some nights, they even have live music performed by local musicians.

4. Sushi Village | 32-50 Francis Lewis Boulevard, Bayside, NY

Do you love Japanese food? Sushi Village in Bayside is just a bus ride away from campus, and has Bento Box lunch specials for under $10. They even have an all-you-can-eat sushi dinner for $20.

5. Donovan’s Grill and Tavern | 214-16 41st Avenue Bayside, NY

If you want to eat a burger in Queens, the ones at Donovan’s Grill and Tavern have a Zagat rating of “perfect”. They have a wide selection of burgers, including the Cajun Burger, Black Forest Burger, and Bacon Bleu Burger.

So, if you ever find yourself needing a break from college food, you have five new places you can try without having to leave the borough!

Carine is a junior at St. John's University, majoring in Communications with a double minor in Business and International Studies. She loves traveling, crafting, and is a cream soda enthusiast.