This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Caution: Sensitive topics/themes are briefly mentioned and slight spoilers ahead

Calling all romance readers! If you are a fan of books that evoke a rollercoaster of emotions, “Long Shot” by Kennedy Ryan is the perfect novel for you. Written in 2018, this book has recently caught the eye of many readers after a new cover was released this August. 

The book follows the dual perspectives of Iris Dupree and August West after they meet and discover an undeniable connection. Unfortunately, their spark of chemistry conflicts with their current lives. August is preparing for the NBA draft in competition with his longtime rival, while Iris is in a relationship with another man. August has the dream life after getting drafted, but Iris’ public relationship is not so perfect behind closed doors. When August re-enters Iris’ life, he’s determined to stay and Iris has to trust that their bond can endure all of the obstacles thrown their way.

“Strength. Dignity. Courage. All these things belong to you. Take them back. Your soul is yours. Your heart is yours. Your body is yours. Yours to keep and yours to share.”

Kennedy Ryan, “Long Shot” (2023)

There were moments when reading that I had to set the book down and process the words on the page. I was furious about the way things were playing out and how Iris was mistreated and I had to constantly remind myself that it wasn’t real. Usually before reading a book, I look up the author to get an idea of their writing style. One thing I learned about Kennedy Ryan is that she always offers a redemption arc and I couldn’t wait to see what good would come for Iris and August. 

“If you were mine, Iris, there would be no doubt what position you’d hold in my life. You’d be center. I’d play you at the five.”

Kennedy Ryan, “Long Shot” (2023)

The book covers difficult topics like abuse, so before you pick up this book you need to be aware of its sensitive topics. Along with these sensitive topics comes a beautiful message that you are stronger than you know and you can get through anything; the good will always triumph over evil in the end. 

Kennedy Ryan manages to write a gut-wrenching, heart-shattering masterpiece with a beautiful ending to top it off and that will forever amaze me. Ryan defied the odds and quickly came into the spotlight with this book, so I’m certain she’ll continue to garner more fans with her future works. I would definitely give this novel five stars, and if given the opportunity hit up your local bookstore or go on Kindle Unlimited and give it a chance.

References

Ryan, Kennedy. Long Shot. Bloom Books, 2023.

Sasha is journalism major at St. Johns. She's born and raised in Pennsylvania but always dreamed of living in a big city. She loves all things fashion, books, tv/movies, and food.