This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Stranger in the Alps is Los Angeles based singer/songwriter Phoebe Bridgers’ debut album. It was released in 2017 and perfectly captures the intimacy of relationships and how they affect the way we view ourselves and also interact with one another. Each song is raw, and emotional- hitting chords and melodies that the 27 year old used to make her melancholy songs sound timeless. Stranger in the Alps put Phoebe Bridgers on the map as one of the best singer-songwriters in the business right now. Her writing emulates the unique and small details of our lives; the casual exchange during a conversation with a loved one, a silent car ride on the way home from a breakup, and the sadness we feel afterwards. She’s not afraid to dive into deep topics, which makes her songs so great. Each lyric is hard hitting, and as the fall season comes to its peak, I find that it fits perfectly with the feeling of cold weather and short days to look back and reflect on each song and the most memorable lyrics.

1. “Smoke Signals”- As the album opener, “Smoke Signals” sets the tone for Bridgers’ debut. The song is 5 minutes long, and it represents her life in a more present tone- whereas some songs on the album reflect her life as a teenager. What stands out most to me about “Smoke Signals” is the perfect timing of the bass in the background- it rings through each lyric and immerses the listener into a real and authentic conversation through song. I love the way it sets up the entire album for a melancholy, sad tone.

Favorite Lyrics:

“I didn’t know you then,

And I’ll never understand 

Why it feels like I did”

2. “Motion Sickness”- The 2nd song off the album dives straight into the hard-hitting topics and themes of Bridgers’ debut. It exposes her former professional and personal relationship with Ryan Adams, and his abusive, childish, and cowardly behavior. She does not hold back on the insults against Adams in this song, although they are coupled with a sad chorus illustrating her frustration and emotions from this abusive relationship she was once in. It’s often referred to as a breakup anthem because of the rawness that Bridgers’ presents in each lyric. I love this song because of the raw emotions that Bridgers’ presents through each lyric.

Favorite Lyrics:

“There are no words in the English language 

I could scream to drown you out”

3. “Funeral”- This 3rd song on the album is all about perspective, and how that ultimately can change all of life’s biggest moments. The album’s truth and transparency is culminated through “Funeral,” which offers a deep look into her intimate emotions of feeling sad and blue (something I’m sure we can all relate to). It’s a haunting track detailing her experience at a funeral (Phillips, 2017). The lyrics, coupled with the acoustic guitar pattern and the slow violin strum, are heartbreaking- but an absolute tone setter for the rest of the album.

Favorite Lyrics

“I’m so blue all of the time 

And that’s just how I feel 

Always have and I always will

I always have and I always will”

4. “Demi  Moore”- This intense song is coupled with expository lyrics about the vices of our youth. It travels the terrifying and contrasting thoughts that girls often have of being desirable and vulnerable at the same time, while immersing themselves into a new relationship. Although it’s about a provocative topic, the song couples well with Bridgers’ grungy tone and sultry voice- which I love. I find that it breaks up the albums heaviness from the previous 3 songs and their meanings, and brings in a modern story from a clear female perspective.

Favorite Lyrics:

“You got quiet on the other line

Said the sun was coming up

And I laughed until I couldn’t breathe”

5. “Scott Street”- This song’s magic relies on the lyrics. It’s a minimalist approach to songwriting, which Bridgers’ described as making it a much better track. Sometimes, less is more, and “Scott Street” is a perfect example of that as it tackles a tough conversation between 2 old friends, who truthfully, have nothing to say to each other. I love this song because you can feel the tension between the 2 characters, even though their conversation is so short and harsh. There is an awkwardness that instills throughout the song because the conversation that occurs is so clearly one-sided, but that is what I love about it so much.

Favorite Lyrics: 

“I asked you: How is your sister?

I heard she got her degree

And I said: That makes me feel so old

He said: What does that make me”

6. “Killer”- As an artist, Phoebe Bridgers has never been shy to tackle the hard-hitting subjects of song writing such as having an open conversation about death. Where many artists may shy away from the topic, she chooses to create music that resonates with so many people and allows for a conversation to occur. “Killer” is a perfect example of her ability to do so as she couples the idea of killing and sickness with gentle and emotional vulnerability. I find it to be a haunting song that I’m drawn to as it comes up on my playlist- I think the music in the background does a great job of drawing in the listener, even if you don’t understand the story being told as well.

Favorite Lyrics:

“Know that I’ve burned every playlist 

And I’ve given all my love”

7. “Georgia”- “Georgia” is my personal favorite off of the album, and I think it has to do with how relatable the track is. It was written in Bridgers’ teenage years and is very reminiscent of that time period. The strong piano and strum of a guitar in the background of the track, gives me goosebumps as she sings. This track breaks up the album with her smooth tone and great storytelling. If you ever get the chance to listen to her acoustic/live rendition of the song on Youtube, I highly suggest you do- it will instantly make you a fan of Bridgers and her insane artistic talent.

Favorite Lyrics:

“And sometimes, when he looks at me

I know that he needs you, you’re all that he sees”

8. “Chelsea”- The 8th track on the album is a story about Bridger’s fear of aging and dying. She tells a story about the famous death of Nancy Spungen at the Chelsea Hotel and how it has influenced her life and songwriting. She is fascinated by the story and uses melodies and songs to create a narrative about that fascination. Although the song is very haunting and scary, the music contrasts the overall theme. I love the way Bridgers is able to convey such deep emotions through songs like this one.

Favorite Lyrics:

“And for generations

They’ll romance us, make us more

Or much less than ever was before”

9. “Would You Rather”- “Would You Rather” is the only song on the album that has a featured artist. The duet, which features Connor Oberst, is a beautifully quiet song about childhood fears (Mandel, 2017). In the music video for the song, which was filmed by Phoebe Bridgers’ brother, whom she wrote the song about, Connor and Phoebe can be seen talking to each other through TV screens. I like how futuristic the video is and how modern the take on this conversation between childhood friends is.

Favorite Lyrics:

“Next time I see you, you’ll show me 

A hundred different ways to say the same things”

10. “You Missed My Heart”- This is a cover that Bridgers included on Stranger in the Alps. The original is off of the 2013 album, Perils from the Sea, a collaboration between Jimmy LaValle and Mark Kozelek. The 6 minute rendition is a haunting account of a graveyard scene that leaves nothing to the imagination. In contrast to the original song, Bridgers significantly slowed down the tempo and changed the instrumental background to piano. I like the artistic liberty that Bridgers took on this version of an older song, making it unique to her style and the story she wanted to tell through this album.

Favorite Lyrics: 

“A childhood scene, night sky, moon beams

Fishin with my friends, sittin’ in the wild reeds”

References

1. Mandel, L. (2017, December 13). Phoebe Bridgers and Conor Oberst debut a video for “Would you rather,” Their stranger in the alps duet. The FADER. Retrieved November 3, 2021, from https://www.thefader.com/2017/12/11/phoebe-bridgers-conor-oberst-would-you-rather-video. 
  2. Phillips, L. (2017, September 12). Phoebe Bridgers shares the origins of her new single, “funeral”: Stream. Consequence. Retrieved November 3, 2021, from https://consequence.net/2017/09/phoebe-bridgers-shares-the-origins-of-her-new-single-funeral-stream/.
Isabella Cautero

St. John's '25

Hi! My name is Isabella Cautero and I'm studying journalism at St.John's University in Queens. I love pop-culture, sports, music, movies and so much more. I enjoy playing with my dog in my free time and spending time with my family and loved ones! I'm from Jersey, so my favorite thing to do is go down the shore to my beach house in Cape May!