Life > Academics

Advice for Prospective St. John’s Freshmen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

As the final year of high school approaches, the question of “What’s next for me?” can flood students’ brains. For many people, the next step after high school is attending college. At university, you may come across individuals who feel that college isn’t right for them and they may choose to take a gap year or transfer to another school. Seeing others make confident decisions without a change in their plans can make you doubt your own choices and even your commitment to university. With that being said,  someone else’s dreams or goals should not divert you from pursuing your own. 

For high school seniors looking to apply to St. John’s, it will certainly be a decision you that won’t regret. St. John’s is a place where you will be able to grow in ways you never could have imagined. Let’s be honest, who would give up the chance to live in New York City while attending college? St. John’s University promotes its unique spirit with its common core course, First Year Seminar where students explore New York through the lens of politics, business, art, etc. 

Deciding where to attend university can sometimes be the easiest part of the college application process, especially if you aren’t sure of what you want to study. Luckily, St. John’s University has a vast catalog of majors that can accommodate any interests you have. 

Outside of your studies, SJU students can explore new environments through on-campus organizations/clubs to connect with fellow students who share your interests. If you decide to attend St. John’s University, you’ll have access to limitless opportunities and experiences that very few universities can provide.

We are always looking to welcome new students to the Johnny family. College is a pivotal point in one’s life where you can meet lifelong friends and create lasting memories to look back on for the rest of your life. No matter what you may experience throughout the college application process, you will know that you made the right decision when your mind and heart are at peace. 

I wish you all good luck as you take this next step into a monumental journey in your lives!

Jazmyne Easley

St. John's '23

Hi! I am Jazmyne Easley ! I am a criminal justice major with a concentration in forensic psychology. During my journey at St.John's I have been inducted into honor societies and promoted as team leader at my campus job pretty early into my college career. I love to shop, read, write, and hang out with friends/family. I am the CEO of GlamourGirl Lash Bar !NC. I've had a passion for writing since I was a little girl. I always felt that I could express myself in a manner that is unmatched through my writing. I am super excited about my journey with Her Campus ! Ig@_1jse