This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

So, you feel that you’re ready to come out to your family as a member of the LGBTQ+ community, but you know that coming out can be a nerve-wracking experience. Bringing up the topic in a conversation can be a little difficult when you don’t know how your family will react. Everyone has a different coming out experience, and it’s not always a casual or easy thing to do as some families aren’t as tolerant as others. You should not feel any pressure of having to come out to your family or anyone else to feel valid. It’s a vulnerable experience and it’s totally up to you to tell people you feel comfortable with about your identity. With that in mind, here is some advice that will help you have a more comfortable coming out experience.

Know When It’s The Right Time

The first thing to consider when having the conversation with your family is to determine the right time and place to bring it up. Your comfort and safety are what matter the most, so it’s crucial to consider being in an intimate and private setting to get your family’s full attention. It’s also important to be emotionally prepared to bring up the topic, so there is no rush when feeling ready to come out. 

Don’t Have Any Expectations Regarding Their Reactions

Since it’s hard to predict your family’s first reactions to you coming out, it’s crucial to be patient with their responses. It may take them some time to be accepting at first, so prepare for some shock and questions. However, that doesn’t mean they’re never going to be supportive, so allow them to process the news. 

Help Educate Them

There is a gap between our generation and our parents’ that we can bridge. The LGBTQ+ community isn’t discussed or as normalized in the older generation as it is in today’s, so providing our older relatives with resources can help them get a better understanding of your identity. For example, you could tell them about other coming out stories, educate them on LGBTQ+ terms and flags, or teach them about allyship to help them gain a better perspective. 

Coming out can sometimes be a stressful process, but remember it’s your choice and you don’t have to do it if you don’t want to. You have control of the situation, so take your time and don’t let anyone make you feel unworthy of your identity!

Marissa Duldulao

St. John's '26

Marissa is currently a sophomore at St. John’s University in Queens, New York. She is originally from Orlando, Florida. She's majoring in Communications, minoring in film and writes articles on music, fashion, films, culture and feminism. IG: @marissa.dul