Life > Experiences

A Guide to NYC for Someone Who Has Never Been In/Lived In NYC Before

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

New York is hailed as one of the world’s greatest metropolitan cities, with flashing lights, skyscrapers that pierce the sky, and a bustling fashion scene. It’s no wonder that people are clamoring to join the big city. As a native New Yorker, I’m going to give you some helpful tips on surviving the “The Big Apple”. 

MTA is your friend….well sorta. 

Don’t let social media influencers confuse you. Hopping in and out of Ubers is expensive, and during rush hours, fares can total up to $30+. There’s always the option to walk, but if you want to travel from borough to borough, you’ll soon regret it. So, the best option is to use NYC transportation; for $2.75, you can travel to just about anywhere within the city. Of course, you and a million others will be utilizing this option. Trains are packed, dirty, and loud, but as a native, I am often jaded to what I see. So for a newbie to the city and anyone, be aware of your surroundings and be careful!

Times Square is not NYC. 

When you see NYC on TV, you see the bright lights of Times Square, or the famous red steps. But Times Square is really just a series of stores that have inflated NYC memorabilia. It is nice to stop for a Broadway play, but Times Square in no way, shape, or form embodies NYC; there are so many culturally diverse neighborhoods with an abundance of restaurants and activities to show you just how amazing NYC is. So, don’t limit yourself to just Times Square or any other neighborhood. 

Making Friends is not as hard as you think. 

While NYC has a reputation for not having the most friendly people, NYC is the greatest place to meet new people. People from all different walks of life reside or visit NYC, and while making friends varies from person to person, just giving a compliment to someone can snowball into a friendship. NYC is always filled with people who know people, so the more connections you make, the easier it is to get into or know about events in the city. 

There are so many restaurants.

NYC has so many restaurants; within my neighborhood, there are over a dozen restaurants, each unique in their own way. With so many options, it can be overwhelming to know where to eat; you might rely on social media to let you know the hottest new restaurants. But my suggestion is to visit Katz’s Delicatessen, its legendary pastrami makes up for the hefty price point, and if you are craving something sweet, try Ray’s Candy Store; any sweet treat you can think of, Ray’s most likely has it. While these are just a few of my suggestions, there are so many more restaurants with delicious food, so don’t limit yourself in NYC. It is easy to work up an appetite! 

NYC is an amazing place to meet people and try new things. But, it can be a bit jarring and scary if you are just moving here. My advice: take a deep breath and relax. This is NYC after all!

Amaya Locke

St. John's '23

I am a current student at St.John’s University, majoring in marketing with a minor in international business. I am an avid writer and collector of books I forget about in a week. In my free time, I like to write, do nails and binge-watch shows that have been off the air for years. Join me in my journey!