7 2021 Novels To Add To Your To Be Read List For This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

As we inch closer and closer to the end of the semester we also approach the beginning of summer. And for bookworms, that means loading up on the best current reads of the year and planning out some time to spend reading on the beach — or anywhere that makes you happy — reading a good book. The following is a list of 2021 released books in a range of genres to help everyone find the perfect read (or reads) for this summer!

The Lost Apothecary by Sarah Penner

Forget healing or soothing herbal remedies, this apothecary specializes in helping women fight back and murder. Following three different storylines in two different time periods, The Lost Apothecary is a historical fantasy novel that tells the story of an Apothecary in late 18th century London who dispenses poison to women to use against men who have wronged them. If you love history, fantasy, and a little bit of mystery this is the perfect novel for you!

People We Meet on Vacation by Emily Henry

The perfect read to accompany you on your own vacation about two people who are in love, yet are just about the only ones who don’t know it yet. A fun new Romance, this would make the perfect read for the beach this summer for any romance lovers!

Honey Girl by Morgan Rogers

When a classic Virgo gets spontaneously married, she begins reexamining what it is she truly wants from her life. Celebrating her newly completed Ph.D. in astronomy, twenty-eight-year-old Grace Porter goes on a girls’ trip to Vegas, yet everything changes when Grace gets drunkenly married to a woman whose name she doesn’t know, leading her to reexamine her life. This is a highly rated contemporary fiction must-read for 2021!

Infinite Country by Patricia Engel

This multigenerational story follows the lives of one Colombian family separated by borders. A short read, this book can be covered in one day on the beach and is incredibly moving. If you’re interested in reading a literary fiction book about the experiences of a family and their experiences as immigrants and a decision whether or not to stay in America illegally pick this one up for sure!

Libertie by Kaitlyn Greenidge

Greenidge’s novel is Inspired by the life of one of the first Black female doctors in the United States. Set in the 1800s and rich with historical detail, this is a Coming of age novel for a freeborn Black girl in Reconstruction-era Brooklyn. This is a great novel for people who want to take a dive into a historical fiction novel that follows a dark-skinned black woman as she navigates her life.

When the Stars Go Dark by Paula McLain

Ann is a seasoned missing person’s detective who only wants to disappear. Yet, when a missing person’s case hits a nerve, Ann is forced to confront her past. This novel is a mystery that will also hit that emotional spot in you and be an instant hit for anyone seeking a book that will keep them guessing.

Legendborn by Tracy Deonn

Deonn’s young adult novel is a modern-day feminist take on Arthurian legend. This book is full of magic, flying demons feeding on human energy, and a secret society of “Legendborn” students that hunt these demons down. This is a perfect fit for anyone who is a fan of feminist and fantasy literature!

So pick your first 2021 summer read and order it now so you’ll be ready to start in a month once the semester ends and you finally have some “you time” on your hands!

Sara Rodia

St. John's '21

Sara is a forth year English major at St. John’s University in New York City who had a passion for writing and aspires to gain her PhD one day.
Ivy Bourke

St. John's '23

Campus Correspondent for St. John's. I am a Sports Management major with a concentration in Business Administration, and a minor in Journalism. My passion for writing has never dulled so I hope to always use this passion for entertainment, and change.