This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

With the rollout of vaccines throughout the United States, there is hope that we will return to normal again. Yet, it will still take a couple of months for every citizen to attain full immunization. Until then, there will be people commemorating their second round of pandemic birthdays. For everyone who is looking for inspiration to make this year’s celebration more memorable and entertaining, here are few ideas for you to try:

Scavenger Hunt 

I know what you’re thinking. A scavenger hunt inside the house? Wouldn’t that be a bit hectic? This can work in every home. Trust me this will be fun and sweet, especially if you’re planning a surprise for the birthday girl. Place notes containing directions or riddles (in case you want to make things more challenging) all over your abode telling her where to find the gifts. Along the way you can sprinkle in some lovely notes saying how much you appreciate and love her for being an amazing person. 

Virtual Game Night

Family Feud? Check. Bingo? Check. Jeopardy? Check. Pictionary? Yup, we’re good for the rest of the night. There are so many games out there that can be played on a Zoom call. You can even be creative and merge some games together, or better yet invent an entirely new game. Who knows, it might become popular in the future.  

Takeout Feast

A birthday is never complete without food. On this day, order all of your favorite dishes.  Even if you know that you will have tons of leftovers, rest assured since in the coming days your appetite will be grateful. Want to try food from a restaurant you have been dying to go to but just never had the chance? See if they allow takeout orders so you can taste some of their cuisines on this special day. Lastly, don’t forget to order the cake! 

Video Montage

Another great present to commemorate the person you love. Interview friends, family, and colleagues about how much they adore the birthday girl and their favorite memories of her and record the conversations. Gather as many photos as possible. If you want, include some funny videos to make her laugh. Now take snippets of each of those elements and merge them all together. Some of the video editing programs you can use are InShot, KineMaster, iMovie, and AdobeSpark. Then you can showcase the final product before the birthday girl blows out her candles.   

Indoor Photo Shoot

Take out all your makeup and hair products because it is time for a transformation! Get one of your friends in on the action too for some extra fun. Change up your ordinary look and try something new. There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube to help you both get started. After makeup and hair are settled, move onto clothing. I suggest buying some new clothes ahead of time if you want to go all out, but restyling whatever is in your closet is just as good. Think of it as an opportunity to revamp your wardrobe. Now it’s time to make yourself feel like a celebrity through a photoshoot. Take some selfies inside the house using your wall as the background or go outside for a bit to get some elegant shots in the sun.  

At-Home Spa Day

These days stress lurks around us everywhere. Say goodbye to all that tension because the relaxing mode is officially turned on. Light up some scented candles to set the mood. Wear your best bathrobe and your fluffiest slippers while also having a pitcher of your favorite drink on standby. Once all the preparation has been complete, get some treatments in. Put on a face mask, do your nails, nourish your hair with a mask, and soak your feet in bath salts. When you feel that you’re done for the day, take a nice long, warm bath.  

Sharupa Azmal

St. John's '24

Sharupa Azmal is a junior who is majoring in Pharmacy at St. John’s University. Besides writing for Her Campus, she finds herself journaling or blogging frequently. Her other pastimes include reading books and webtoons, watching movies (yes Bollywood films are included), and dragging her friends on little trips throughout New York City.
Ivy Bourke

St. John's '23

Campus Correspondent for St. John's. I am a Sports Management major with a concentration in Business Administration, and a minor in Journalism. My passion for writing has never dulled so I hope to always use this passion for entertainment, and change.