This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

I identify as a hopeless romantic. I’ve always been infatuated with love and the feelings it brings about. With fall approaching, many young people may be gearing up for Cuffing Season, or that period where, as the weather gets cooler, people want to be in a relationship. Before it gets too cold for outside activities, other hopeless romantics like me fantasize about having someone to stay warm until the winter blows over. I curated a small playlist of my favorite indie love songs that any hopeless romantic would enjoy this cuffing season as they cuddle with their draft pick or as they daydream about being “cuffed.”  

1. EASY – closegood

EASY” is a love song from LA-based musical duo closegood that serves as a gentle reminder that love is an easy task.  The song confirms any hopeless romantic’s sentiment that when you’re in love with the right person, it’s especially easy. 

2. Slow Dance – Evil

Slow Dance” may sound familiar. It was famously sung by Marceline The Vampire Queen on Cartoon Network’s Adventure Time. In a tweet, Evil stated they wrote “Slow Dance” about a girl who didn’t like them back because she had a boyfriend. Evil’s anthem of unrequited love is perfect for any hopeless romantic just hoping to be offered a slow dance. 

3. Flamin Hot Cheetos – Clario

Flamin’ Hot Cheetos” by Clario is an ode to an old lover. At one point, Clario sings: “I’m such a romantic, I never remember how things really happen”, speaking to how romance will make us glaze over important details and how one look from a crush could leave your mind in a rose-colored haze. This song is bound to touch the heart of any hopeless romantic who hasn’t given up on a past love.

4. Kingston – Faye Webster

Kingston” by Atlanta artist Faye Webster starts with the line: “The day that I met you I started dreaming.” The dreamy, country-inspired instrumentals perfectly aid Webster’s calming voice as she sings about being willing to do everything and more for a lover.   

5. Nobody – Mitski

Nobody” by Mitski is admission to loneliness, but it isn’t an ode to solitude. It’s the very opposite. Mitski sings of yearning the company of others so much that there’s a feeling of satisfaction by just the sound of people. Mitski’s pleading for “one good honest kiss” resonates with the typical hopeless romantic who craves just an inkling of romance to get them through the world.  

Sydney Potter

St. John's '20

Sydney is a Communication Arts major at St. John's University. She is from Atlanta, GA, and is a pisces, a punk, and a self-proclaimed crybaby.
Chanelle Norman

St. John's '20

Chanelle is a graduate of St. John's University '20 and former Editor-in-Chief for the chapter. When she's not sleeping for ungodly hours at a time she spends her time reading, writing and watching movies. She's pursuing her dreams of working in the book industry.