5 Pop Culture-Inspired Wines

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

After a long day of classes, what’s better than watching your favorite show with a glass of wine (if you’re 21 or older, of course)? How about watching your favorite show with a glass of wine based on that show? We’ve scoured the internet and have found these five wines based on some of our favorite shows and movies! 

1. Fifty Shades of GreyThe world is obsessed with E L James’ Fifty Shades trilogy, especially now that the first film adaptation has hit theaters. The British writer personally blended Red Satin and White Silk, a wonderful pair of wines that even Christian Grey would approve of!
  2. Downton AbbeySince its debut in 2010(UK) and 2011(US), Downton Abbey hasn’t slowed down in any sense of imagination. Currently in its fifth season, Downton Abbey is going as strong as ever and can now add a wine line to its repertoire.
  3. The Walking DeadBranded wines aren’t just for sexy movies and historical dramas; zombies love wine too! Arguably AMC’s most popular series, The Walking Dead has inspired a collector’s series of morbidly named wines – Cadaver Cabernet Sauvignon, The UnDead Apocalyptic Red, Still Alive by way of The Antidote and The Zinfection Blight Zinfandel.
  4. Real HousewivesWhether in Orange County, N.Y.C., Beverly Hills or Atlanta, no Real Housewives episode is complete without a few scenes that include a glass (or three) of wine. These women love wine so much that some of them have even ventured into the wine business! The wine always filling Ramona Singer’s glass is her own Ramona Pinot Grigio. Restaurateur Lisa Vanderpump produces her own Red and Pink Sangrias and even Teresa Giudice has her own line of Fabellini Proseccos.
  5. Wines of WesterosCitizens of the Seven Kingdoms be warned…Hangovers are coming, at least that is what Wines of Westeros promises. Wines of Westeros aren’t officially affiliated or endorsed by Game of Thrones, but thanks to fan funding, the company concept has become a reality. Eventually 12 different wine varieties will be offered to mirror Game of Thrones’ 12 houses. Unfortunately, their online store is currently down due to high demand but will (hopefully) be back up soon so we may sample their Targaryen wine.

The only question we have now is…Why isn’t there any Scandal inspired wine? A wine and popcorn line based on one of Shonda Rhimes’ most successful shows sounds like a match made in heaven!

Anai Perez

St. John's '17

Anai Perez is an alumna of Delta Phi Epsilon and St. John's University, currently working for the Department of Treasury. She is a lover of all animals (none more than her blue nosed pitbull, Blu) and a self proclaimed fangirl who's obsessed with Doctor Who, Sherlock, Harry Potter, Sailor Moon and Game of Thrones.