5 Poor Life Lessons Disney Princess Movies Taught Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Disney movies have been a major part of so many of our childhoods and we’ve learned some very valuable lessons from these movies. But have you ever thought of the not so great underlying messages in your favorite Disney princess movies? Here are some of the 5 worst lessons taught to us by Disney princess (in no particular order):

1. You will find your one true love before you’re old enough to (legally) drink.
  2. Marrying a man you’ve only known for a few days, weeks or months will have no consequences and you’ll live happily ever after.
  3. You need to change yourself in order in order for a man to love you (looking at you, Ariel).
  4. You will go through life looking absolutely flawless, without so much as a hair out of place.
  5. Happily ever after can only be achieved when you become someone’s wife.
Anai Perez

St. John's '17

Anai Perez is an alumna of Delta Phi Epsilon and St. John's University, currently working for the Department of Treasury. She is a lover of all animals (none more than her blue nosed pitbull, Blu) and a self proclaimed fangirl who's obsessed with Doctor Who, Sherlock, Harry Potter, Sailor Moon and Game of Thrones.