This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Age Really is Just a Number

By Abigail LoManto

Who says millennials are lazy? Who says YOU are lazy? Take a look at some of the youngest CEOs in the world for some inspiration. It’s never too early to start chasing your dreams, and that’s for sure.

1. Mark Zuckerberg – Age 34 – Facebook

I’m sure many of us have heard the famous story of how Zuckerberg created Facebook from his dorm room at Harvard University. Facebook became the biggest and most-used social media platform in the world. Now, he is currently the youngest CEO of a Fortune 500 company.

He’s the perfect example of the fact that just because you’re still in school, you don’t have to wait to start your career!

1. Melanie Perkins – Age 31 – Canva

Perkins created Canva as a way for the average person to easily design everything like slide presentations, posters, and business cards online. Since it was founded in 2012 (only 7 years ago!), Canva is now worth over $1 billion.

Simple ideas make big bucks!

1. Laurence Girard

Fruitstreet is a company that allows doctors to legally video chat their patients for appointments. Girard was a pre-med student at Harvard when he realized how difficult it was for patients to attend visits that would positively impact their health. His heart has given thousands of people access to healthcare and has raised over $8 million for the company.  

It’s all about your passion!

1. Whitney Wolfe – Age 29 – Bumble

After co-founding Tinder, Wolfe founded and became the CEO of Bumble, another popular dating app. She had the groundbreaking idea to let women make the first move, something that wasn’t the norm on other dating apps. She is now worth over a quarter of a billion dollars.

Remember her the next time you’re browsing through your dating apps!

“Never leave that till tomorrow which you can do today.” – Benjamin Franklin

Contributor Account
London-Calderon is a Senior at St. John's University and is EIC for the chapter. She spends her time writing, listening to music and working on several unfinished books. When she graduates she plans on going into the workforce and reporting for a publication. She is also an intern at Newsday Media.