5 Fair Trade Brands to Try out this Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St. John's chapter.

Much like terms such as “organic” and “artisan,” the fair trade designation is tossed around a lot. If you’re like most people, you’ve heard the term, but aren’t totally sure what it means. According to the official website, products with the fair trade designation are guaranteed to be made “responsibly, fairly, and sustainably.”  This is especially important in the modern global market, where companies take advantage of farmers, factory workers, and fishermen in order to keep prices down. A fair trade certification comes with a guarantee that it was produced in accordance with strict social, environmental, and economic standards. In order for a company to receive this designation, everyone making the product must “work in safe conditions, protect the environment, build sustainable livelihoods, and earn additional money to empower and uplift their communities.” This can apply to everything from clothing to flowers to foods. 

So, in honor of Fair Trade month, I’ve found five Fair Trade brands that are worth trying out this October.  

Photo via https://wearpact.com/ 

1. PACT 

PACT offers clothing and home goods, all made out of signature guilt-free cotton. Not only are their products all guaranteed to be sweatshop and child labor free, they’re also all made out of 100% organic cotton, for a super comfortable fit. The company also offers ways to recycle your old clothing and linens, so it is truly a win-win situation. Items can be purchased online at wearpact.com.  

Get this PACT “Essential Poncho,”  for $39.00

photo via target.com 

2. Universal Thread Denim 

I was so excited to find Fair Trade denim at Target. Universal Thread’s jeans are super comfortable and come in a huge variety of sizes. With lots of rave reviews and several styles available, there’s no reason not to try out Universal Thread. You can get the jeans yourself on their website or find them at your local Target store.  

Get these High-Rise Distressed Denim jeans for $34.99.

Photo via everest-designs.com

3. Everest Designs 

Everest Designs sells mostly winterwear- appropriate, considering they work directly with artisans in Nepal. The result?  The very highest quality cold-weather products. Not only is Everest Designs operating according to fair trade protocol, it also actively gives back by providing food, fresh drinking water, and a safe environment to the artisans who make their products. In fact, their building withstood the deadly 2015 earthquake in Nepal with no major injuries. Everest Designs apparel can be purchased on their website

Get these Cable Mittens for $38.99.

Photo via instagram.com/tonyschocolonely_us/ 

4: Tony’s Chocoloney 

I know the name sounds a little silly, but Tony’s is seriously breaking the mold when it comes to ethical chocolate production. This company is pushing for a chocolate industry that is 100% slave free, which is no easy task. Not only is their chocolate made according to the highest ethical standards, but it is also ridiculously good. They have a 42% dark chocolate bar with pretzels and toffee that’s to die for. The website also has a store locator, so you can find out how to get your hands on some chocoloney.  

Get this 32% Milk Chocolate “Big Bar,” for $5.49.

Photo via instagram.com/madrinas/ 

5. Madrinas Coffee 

I couldn’t complete this list of fair trade brands without talking about coffee. One of the first products to be given the fair trade designation, there are tons of options for those seeking an ethical caffeine fix. I picked Madrinas Coffee for the list because they produce one of my absolute favorite things: cold brew. Their coffee is all fair trade and the milk and flavorings are all ethically sourced in the United States. You can pick up a pack of their cold brew at Whole Foods or order online from their website and enjoy free shipping on your order.  

Get a six pack of Madrinas Cafe Mocha, for $19.00.

Chiara Huber

St. John's '24

Chiara is a second year pharmacy student at St. John's, but is originally from Wyomissing, Pennsylvania. She is a big fan of iced coffee, her dog, and baking competition shows. This is her first year writing for Her Campus.
Chanelle Norman

St. John's '20

Chanelle is a graduate of St. John's University '20 and former Editor-in-Chief for the chapter. When she's not sleeping for ungodly hours at a time she spends her time reading, writing and watching movies. She's pursuing her dreams of working in the book industry.