Why I Am Thankful for My Stay-At-Home Mom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

For those moms who choose to stay-at-home, thank you. Thank you for having the hardest job out there. Thank you for making sure we are fed, healthy, and ready to conquer the world. Thank you for staying up late past midnight with us when we are trying to finish those pesky book reports. Thank you for being the carpool mom and making sure that we always arrived at our destinations safely. Thank you for being involved in the school’s PTO, teaching and showing me how I can give back to my community that gives me so much. Thank you for always being on-call to pick us up from school when we were sick. Thank you for always making sure I had a fresh and healthy meal. Thank you for always tucking me in at night. Thank you for teaching me the importance of praying. Thank you for being both mom and dad when dad was out working. 

To those who dismiss you and say that being a full-time mother isn’t a “job,” well they are wrong. They are so mistaken. Your job never ends. Your job is 24/7. Who did I call for in the middle of the night when I was sick? Mom.

Who do I still call for when I am sick? Mom.

Who wakes up before everyone in the house to make sure everyone is ready for the day? Mom.

Who is the last person to sit down at the dinner table and the first one to get up? Mom. 

Who is there when I am crying or upset? Mom.

Who takes care of herself last? Mom.

Who doesn’t get to clock in and out of work? Mom.

Who doesn’t get a paycheck? Mom.

A stay-at-home mom wears millions of hats, from chef to psychiatrist, to teacher, to doctor, the list goes on. And you put up with all of this because you love us and for that I thank you. 

Thank you for the amazing example you have set for me. I hope to be half the woman you are. You are selfless, God-fearing, loving, caring, and nurturing. I am thankful you are available 24/7 for my siblings and our crazy needs. You have one of the most difficult jobs out there, and I think you’re beyond amazing at it.

Elizabeth Gonzales

St Edward's '18

John Mayer lover, coffee enthusiast, and avid concert goer. Best Buddies and Young Life   Ecclesiastes 3:11  
Hannah Saada

St Edward's '18

Hannah is passionate about gender equity and is a Marketing major at St. Edward's University. She's currently the President for HC at her university. Friends can attest she's a serious Netflix addict and 80s movies are close to her heart. When she's not binge watching a new show, you'll either catch her reading or laughing at terrible puns. [S]he's a righteous dude. Follow Hannah on Instagram at @han_saada