What to do in Austin on Valentine’s Day (Single Girl Edition)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

Truth be told, Valentine’s Day can be hard to take without a significant other by your side. An entire day set aside for couples to be even more in your face than usual? Clearly the day was thought up by someone madly in love. In the past few years, I’ve heard of Valentine’s Day being referred to as S.A.D. (Single Awareness Day). I’ve never been a fan of this nickname. So instead of being sad about being single, embrace it! Take this day to show yourself, your friends or family a little TLC. Luckily for St. Ed’s ladies we have the amazing city of Austin to lose ourselves in. Whether you’re an Austin native or moved here for college, Valentine’s Day is a great day to embrace the city and explore it. This year the holiday is on a Friday, so the fun can start right when you have your last class. If you’re feeling really crazy, extend your day of pampering out into the weekend. Here are just a few ideas if you’re new to the city or just looking for inspiration:

Love your community

Sanctuary Yoga- During International Education week last November, I got a chance to meet people who were promoting Sanctuary Yoga. An 8 minute drive from campus, it is the only non-profit yoga studio in Austin. Proceeds from classes go towards youth programs of the Amala Foundation. Not only will you be immersed in a beautiful, peaceful environment but you will be contributing to the community around you. What better way to show some love?

Fair Trade- Go shop around at Fair Trade stores and discover creative, unique products and empower workers from developing countries. You’ll give a little something back and have a beautiful memento to remind you of your own good fortune.

Love your friends and family

Zilker Park-The weather has been pretty cold and dreary lately but if Valentine’s Day is nice, then you can’t go wrong with Zilker Park. Enjoy the weather and bring your furry friends with you. Get the Frisbee out or take a walk with your friends around Town Lake. You’re going to take a million pictures anyway, so you might as well have a beautiful backdrop.

IFly Austin- Want something completely out of the ordinary? You should grab a group of friends and check out iFly Austin. This is an indoor skydiving experience that you won’t soon forget.  And if all else fails, you’ll have prime picture moments of your friends, as they’re suspended in mid-air.

Explore Downtown- Need something a little more chill? Try getting lost in downtown Austin. You never know what you’ll stumble upon when you least expect it, the best memories are often the most spontaneous ones. So have no plan! Luckily for SEU ladies we are only a short bus ride away from the heart of Austin. Take advantage of our prime location and find your new favorite coffee shop, boutique, or movie house.

Love yourself

Viva Day Spa- Want a full day of pampering? Try going to a day spa and get the full treatment. Viva Day Spa was named the Best Spa in Austin two years in a row, so you know you’re going to get the indulgence you’ve been craving. That being said, they are a bit pricey so come up with a price cap and check out their website to see what will work best for you.

Avenue Five Institute-Avenue Five Institute is another good spa option, offering  facials, skin treatments, haircuts, and waxing. Make sure you do your research however before going. This is essentially a school where students and instructors work in the same environment so certain options may take a little longer than you’re used to. 

Current sophomore at St. Edward's University, english writing major, book nerd & lover of classic movies :)
Brooke Lewis

St Edward's

Brooke Lewis is a senior English Writing & Rhetoric major at St. Edward's University in Austin. She has one left semester left and plans to study journalism in graduate school, after graduation. She also is interning at The Austin American Statesman this semester, for the online department. Brooke has been obsessed with magazines since the 7th grade, when she created one with her friends and distributed it to the girls in her grade. Besides writing, Brooke enjoys playing the piano, hanging out with friends, and watching too much DVR'd television. Some of her favorite shows include Scandal, Nashville, Grey's Anatomy, and the Real Housewives franchise (quality television right there). Brooke is excited to be Co-Editor in Chief of St. Edward's chapter of Her Campus this semester!