New Music Monday: 4 Songs to Add to Your Spring Break Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

If you’re feeling unmotivated to study for those midterms? Here are some newly released songs you can find on Spotify to add to your playlist in preparation for Spring Break!

1. Young, Dumb and Broke- Khalid

Originally from El Paso, Texas, 19-year-old singer-songwriter Khalid landed a record deal with RCA Records after a high school classmate of his persuaded him to post one of his original songs to SoundCloud. Influenced by an eclectic blend of R&B, soul, and pop, Khalid’s newly released debut album American Teen proves that the young singer has a long and prosperous career ahead of him. Singing of themes such as teen angst, young love, and self-discovery, the second track of the album, Young, Dumb, and Broke, solidifies Khalid as a talented voice for the younger generation.

2. Barcelona-Ed Sheeran

With an opening lyric like “get up on the dancefloor tonight,” this song is unsurprisingly the most danceable track on Ed Sheeran’s impressive third album, Divide. Grounded by playful chants, upbeat percussion, Spanish influences, and tropical guitar melodies, this song is just what you need to get you in the mood for a fantastic spring break!

3. Green Light-Lorde

The first single off of Lorde’s much-anticipated sophomore album, Green Light serves as pitch-perfect comeback breakup jam for the 20-year-old songstress. Co-written by Jack Antonoff of fun. and Bleachers, this poppy yet somber single proves Lorde’s maturity as a songwriter, as she relies on her strong, dark, vocals and a catchy piano hook to chronicle the unresolved feelings of her first real heartbreak.

4. Good Girls-LANY

While LANY’s music is reminiscent of 80s-synth pop and electronica, the Los Angeles-based trio cities a wide range of influences: John Mayer, The Red Hot Chile Peppers, Phil Collins, and Tears for Fears.  With a self-proclaimed aesthetic of “make-out music,” Good Girls serves as an impressive teaser for their upcoming album, which is set to be released on June 30th of this year. 

Lesley Pettit

St Edward's

Hailing from the land of Breaking Bad and green chile, I'm originally from Albuquerque, New Mexico and I'm currently a freshman Digital Media Management major at St. Edward's University. In my free time, I'm usually going to concerts, finding new restaurants to check out, singing, or playing piano. I am an 80s movie enthusiast, an avid tea drinker, and a lover of Bernese Mountain Dogs.
...