etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Must-Know SXSW Events

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

Any Austinite can tell you that spring break is just code for SXSW. South by South West is a music, film, and interactive festival that takes place every year in March—this year, it is March 11-20.  Although you can purchase tickets to be a part of the official lineups, the South by scene brings artists from all over to Austin to perform free shows across the city. Instead of investing in pricy tickets, we’ve compiled a list of some of the best free (or at least super cheap) events happening this year.

SXSW Outdoor Film Screenings

When: Monday, March 14

Where: Long Center Terrace

Whether you’re here for movies or music, everyone loves classic cartoons. Don’t miss the outdoor screening of The PowerPuff Girls and the other free screenings going on throughout the week!

SXSW Spotify House

When: Tuesday, March 15

Where: The Spotify House

ILOVEMAKKONEN will be the DJ for this free event! Be sure to RSVP online.

Waterloo Records Day Party

When: March 16-19

Where: Waterloo Records

This free event is always a must during SXSW, and the lineup is always incredible.

SXSW Outdoor Stage

When: Thursday, March 17-19

Where: Lady Bird Lake

This three day event will take place Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night at the beautiful Lady Bird Lake, featuring a series of charity beneficiary concert events.  This is SXSW’s largest stage with more than 50,000 people.  Artists performing include Systema Solar, Grupo Fantasma, and and Intocable.

KUTX Live at The Four Seasons

When: March 16 – 19

Where: The Four Seasons

KUTX 98.9, The Austin Music Experience, is hosting great live music from at 7 a.m to 12 p.m. Admission is $10 and includes coffee and a breakfast taco. Don’t miss out on seeing Twin Peaks at 8 a.m. on Thursday!

Tacos, Tunes, and Tequila

When: Friday, March 18

Where: Maria’s Taco Xpress

Austin’s favorite taco joint will be hosting SHURMAN, Blackfoot Gypsies, and a few other bands Saturday afternoon.  Enjoy great food and great tunes!

Pearl Street Pool Party

When: Friday, March 18

Where: Pearl Street Co-Op

Swim and sway to even more great music! Presented by Burger Records and Alt Citizen, this event is the perfect combination of South by and Spring Break bliss.

St. Edward's University English Writing and Rhetoric MajorWicked Wild Austin, Texas ResidentSorin Oak Poetry Review Board MemberCoffee EnthusiastHopeful Traveler, Writer, Risk TakerArtist 
Taylor Duane

St Edward's