books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

How to Overcome Procrastination

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Edward's chapter.

Procrastination. Let’s face it, we’ve all been there, done that. Whether it’s binge watching your favorite Netflix show for seven hours straight, or taking 25 Buzzfeed quizzes in a row, sometimes the opportunities to procrastinate seem endless. Everyone knows the feeling of being bombarded with 80 pages of reading in one night or four tests in one week, and it may seem impossible to finish everything on time. Don’t stress! Here are some ways to beat procrastination and get stuff done.

1. Write it down

Without writing important information down, the odds of you remembering your assignments due in three weeks is slim. If you don’t write things down, the information can easily be forgotten with the other things you have going on in your life. How can you get things done if you don’t even know what you’re supposed to be doing? Start with putting your information in a method that works best for you. Whether you choose an app on your phone, Google Calendar, or even an old fashioned planner, scheduling things out is really important!

2. Make shorter to do lists for each day

When you have five assignments due in one day, plus work, plus class, plus a meeting, life can get pretty overwhelming. One of the main reasons for procrastination is the overestimating of the time it takes to complete a task. Instead of making a list with 10 things on it, create shorter to do lists and focus on three tasks per day. Once you are finished with those three tasks, you can feel a sense of accomplishment and start over with another list of three items.

3. Use apps to block distracting websites

The Internet is the ultimate breeding ground for distraction. Sure, watching videos of Marnie the Dog is a great way to spend your time but when you have an assignment due at midnight it might not be the best idea. Install StayFocused, an application on Chrome that limits the time that you can spend on time-wasting websites like Facebook or Twitter.

4. Work in productive environments

Dorm rooms are not always the best places to study. Let’s be real, most of the time your attention is divided between the TV and the comfort of your bed. Finding a productive environment to complete your assignments can reduce distractions as well as give you an opportunity to explore. A local coffee shop, the library, or even sitting outside helps you focus on the immediate task and removes obstacles to studying.

5. Create a reward system

After a long study session, it is important to treat yo’ self to a reward! Every time you finish a particularly difficult task celebrate by doing something that makes you happy. Whether it’s something small like watching an episode or two of your favorite show, or a big reward like getting a manicure after you finished a project, this tip is an essential.

These small tips can help you with some not-so-small stressors. So stop putting the PRO in procrastination and start putting the PRO in productivity! You can do it! Good luck!

Welcome! My name is Heather and I am currently majoring in English at St. Edwards University!
Taylor Duane

St Edward's